Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Scent in flies ?

Was watching a guy catch lots trout using a casting bubble with a treble hook loaded with a dough bait. He said he ground up Koi fish food and made up a paste dough.

Wondered about adding scent to flies ...............
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Founding Member.

If you are going to add scent to flies you might as well be using bait.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Sorry, there is a one word answer...no.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM

I don't know that fish attractants even work.

I have heard bass tournament fishers say they use them to at least keep their human scent (sunscreen etc.) from repelling fish. Who knows if it works or not. They are fishing for sponsors as well as fish. They also have a check on the line when they are fishing, so they probably add it just in case it helps as well.

In the northwest I know it is popular for trout fisherman to add WD-40 to lures and baits. Don't know if it is because of the rings in the water, or the smell of the WD-40. I don't know if it actually works, and I have ever heard of it being used on a fly.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM

A idea that has been kicked around for 50 yrs that I know of. I have heard Dave Whitlock himself talk about putting scent on his bass flies. It was to test if it made a difference on slow day. The results where mixed. He found that once he had but one of the bass scents on his fly it was an oily mess.
Plus you need to know your reg's. Many places to add some sort of scent to a fly is bait fishing in fly only waters.
The San Juan river is an example. There are those who carry a small foil packet of power bait with them. They rub it on the flies. It makes a difference there.
Funny thing is an old timers trick for pike was to catch a perch and take a belly strip. Hook it onto your streamer hook. At the time nothing was thought different about it. Just a trick to put fish in the pan.
If you do want to put some scent on your I request one thing. Just tell me you where fishing when you caught those fish. No fly in front of the the fishing.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM

I've rubbed alittle power bait on some streamers for catfish

works really good, but they might have hit it anyway without the scent

i don't really see the problem with it, except for trout where they might swallow it and

hurt themselves.

"Flyfisherman are willing to work hard at anything that isn't important"
John Geirach
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Just like the San Juan, it would be illegal on Silver Creek right now. From Oct 1 to April 1 is artificial, barbless, catch & release only. NO bait fishing. Putting smellum on a fly will be considered bait fishing and you can be cited.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 AM

I just try to catch enough fish that all my flies are fish scented. When I put them back in my watertight and airtight box the aroma permeates all my flies.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM

I was just thinking about it and I am scent fishing wet fly's. An old trick I was taught and even read about is to take a little bank mud and rub it on your fly. Then wash it out. This done so the fly is already wet when it is cast on the water and sinks. I am sure that mud the has scent.
What about those pre-wetting fluids that the fly shops sell. Plus even the floatants. They must have some sort of smell.
Considering that fish smell in parts per millionth.
I hear WD-40 is a great fish attractor. Those small cans repainted would fit in a vest pocket.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
The guppies fear me

A lot of us know how tricky it can be to catch carp on the fly. The funny thing is, as soon as a ball of bread is in the water, the carp get real stupid. My kids catch tons of carp with bread when I skunk out on the fly. So I tried soaking some ssl's in a mix of olive oil, yeast, and garlic. I'll try pinching a piece of bread on a fly, attractant, or whatever, but then I won't take a picture of the fish I catch that way, because I feel like a dirty cheater, lol.

I also don't think I would do this with trout. They seem to swallow hooks when I've been bait fishing more than other species, and that makes me feel rather bad.