Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Dock lights

Hey guys what do you get for the fisherman who already has everything? Maybe some of these bad boys. They now make a portable light that you can pack in and run from a trolling motor battery. The lights bring in the plankton, the plankton bring in the smaller minnows, and then in my dreams a 30'' inch brown reveals himself.

I can think of a few places where these lights could allow you to really scout the lunkers in your favorite honey hole. Imagine putting this in the inlet and observing some big nocturnal toads! Been on my wish list but it's by no means a priority and they are a bit pricey.

I would love to see some guys on here experiment with these lights on say a becker lake, res. lakes or the cabin on the east verde etc...

http://youtu.be/W7lh63Josb8
Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM

You mean like using glow sticks under a balloons. That way I don't have to have a trolling motor battery on my float tube.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighand View Post
You mean like using glow sticks under a balloons. That way I don't have to have a trolling motor battery on my float tube.
I got some Air Force issued chem-sticks from my brother in law (he flys pavehawks for S&R ).
Thinking of trying those out too, maybe hanging a glow stick line is comparable. Now I have an huge elk pack with a metal frame so packing in a trolling motor is not a huge deal but I hear ya on that. But for any place with a good boat acces like Becker these light would deploy right on your watercraft/boat.

Reminds me of the ''floating lantern'' idea too que jaws theme music..

Last edited by Driftwood; 11-29-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM

You can set up the glow sticks in good spots around the lake. Then fish each one from a distance. Like to have one stick close to the water surface. Helps locate them in the dark.
Then there was the car head light floating it face down wired to the boat battery.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Driftwood: you pick up a trolling/deep cycle battery lately? You really want schlep one of those around - pack or no pack?

I have seen this done plenty for night fishing on the desert lakes and typically it's associated with crappie fishing... never heard of this apporach for trout??

Anyway, how about lights - for under $17 - powered by AAA's....
http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BTSFL-...2620455&sr=1-2
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Bear Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLikeFlyFish-FlyFishGood View Post
Driftwood: you pick up a trolling/deep cycle battery lately? You really want schlep one of those around - pack or no pack?

I have seen this done plenty for night fishing on the desert lakes and typically it's associated with crappie fishing... never heard of this apporach for trout??

Anyway, how about lights - for under $17 - powered by AAA's....
http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BTSFL-...2620455&sr=1-2
I too have only heard of/used it for crappie or bass but would be interested to see if it works for trout. But I'm with Driftwood on this one, I've packed in a trolling motor and battery by myself with a sturdy Outdoorsmans pack and it did not bother me one bit. Maybe I'm just used to packing out deer and elk but either way a good pack makes all the difference.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Green lights and floating white lights are relatively inexpensive. They carry them at the Walmart on Happy Valley road. I suppose because that Walmart is near lake Pleasant. They are about $10 a piece for the Berkeley green ones, and they run on small batteries. You attach a weight and it allows them to sink. The floating white one hooks up to a marine battery.

I have used them for Striped Bass at Pleasant. If you want something that will give you a lot of light, here is a website ordered a green light from. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, so I can't tell you whether it is worth the money. They also sell light dock kits.

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/MagnumLED.html

I don't know whether or not they would be effective for trout. I suppose it could be effective if the trout were feeding on Shad or other small bait fish at night that are attracted by the light.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 PM

Beeyay: would love to know how that light works out. I have checked out that site and all their stuff looks "serious".
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM

I will let you know as soon as I use it. It has been a little cold lately, and I haven't had the motivation to get out at night. This weekend is fly fishing, but maybe next. I definitely want to try the Agua Fria River arm of Pleasant for Stripers with my fly rod before they close it on December 15. Caught a boat load of 20 inchers one morning last weekend in there on spinning gear and a plastic grub. They were busting shad all over the place in the morning. I am new to striped bass fishing and have never used a fly rod for them.

I have thought about taking my lights with me next time I go to the white mountains, but haven't done so yet. I know trout can be caught at night, but I have never tried.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

My biggest brown caught about 15 minutes after there was no longer any ambient light. Top water with a popper! Awesome.