Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Old thread, really good
Screw the foriegn invaders
I say more natives
And exactly what would that leave us if G&F only stocked fish that were actually native to Arizona. I am thinking you probably dont know the answer to that one.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM

We know a bit about the reclamation/stocking program on Mt. Graham (Pinalenos), as Jason Kline and Fish Manager (Don) are in charge of this program and some of us have been intimately involved from the start.

The streams in question are Frye Creek, Ash Creek and Marijilda Creek - all drain north into the Gila Valley, so there is a historical argument for the placement of Gila Trout in them. Gila trout were stocked 2 years ago in Frye Creek, we are hoping to get to fish for them next fall, which would be 3 years, but will have to wait and see how they are doing. So far so good from what I have heard.

Look on this forum for reports on Frye Mesa Lake possibilities for catching stocked gila trout, sounds like a very successful project so far. Like Silver Creek in the Whites, it does not float my boat, but has generated a lot of enthusiasm in the flyfishing community and generated many, many fishing hours and big fish landed.

Southern draining streams (Grant, Post Creeks) still hold hybrid trout - rainbow/apache strains - and are untouched, been in there since the 60's/70's.

Personally, I am thrilled with the project and the possibility of catching gila trout in those mountains - also glad Grant Creek has been left alone, as the hybrids have survived and are great fish in a tough, brushy small creek tumbling down a narrow canyon.

The January OPTU (Old Pueblo Trout Unlimited) meeting will feature Mike Lopez and Jason Kline from the AZ G&F talking about the fire damage to apache trout habitat, so maybe the Mt. Graham projects will be discussed as well.

I am planning on attending that meeting, 1st Wed. Jan 4th at the Viscount Suites hotel on Broadway. Look on optu.org for details.

Last edited by aztightlines; 12-27-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM

There is plenty of room to share for the "foreign invaders" and the "indigenous fish that have been dumped on for most of the 20th century"
Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Old thread, really good
Screw the foriegn invaders
I say more natives
What an incredibly boring state this would be to fish in... I guess the small stream guys would be in hog heaven since apaches do well in streams but then again Apache trout would be the only edible fish in the state so every trout stream and lake would be a zoo and probably have very few fish left in them. Stillwater fishing would be worthless since apaches are terribly weak lake fish. It would make powerbait pretty much futile since there would be no rainbows so that's a plus. No more bass and panfish... Guess we could spend out time trying to Target the lakes sucker fish populations. I know I wouldn't buy an az liscense anymore along with many others so I imagine there wouldn't be much money for stocking programs. With no sport fish here there probably wouldn't be any sportfishing groups to protect our right to fish so the environmentalists would probably do away with fishing all together. Sounds good to me though.... No more foreign invaders, lots more natives!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Squirt The Dirt

Well said TJ...............................
Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM

"I think PETA is still the biggest threat to fishing than anything else"
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
When fishing for Apaches, take the time to ask yourself why you are fishing for this species. If you like hard fighting fish, look the other way but if you looking for a good time on a stillwater lake and have a 3WT rod in hand with a box full of dries you will find that this was the day you truly enjoyed. Sure we all like BIG, JUMPING, HARD RUNNING TROUT but I have also found the reason I love to fish for Apaches and it's because they love dries just as much as I do.....I enjoy all species of trout but finding time to be on the water is really why I fish so much, catching and releasing fish is just the reward of being outdoors...

CHIEF
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Founding Member.

If you ask me, Drifrwood is just trolling the forum for a reaction. Kinda like he did in that Talapia thread.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

What no!? I was reading a old thread from BTG!!

Where would it leave us you ask hmmm… in a state with not one but two FISHABLE populations of native trout !! Plus browns and bows and cutts and brookies and bass etc...
That’s world class gentlemen, outdoorsman the world over would fly here just to get into Gilas and Che's !

How many states can say that? You moron. Just keep stocking rainbows cause your to cheep to build a new hatchery. When I’m a biologist I’m going to help lead the charge in this area so go screw yourself if you don’t like it and Im sorry you and the crybabies got upset on my interest in how the **** tilapia get in the ponds. My mistake for being interested again.

We don’t need only natives duh. However, one fire, one flood, one drought could wipe out the Che's in the whites or the Gila's in NM So ''we''... no wait... I belive act now and make a new plan to spread out these native trout to the Verde, Gila, Black, LCR, etc... or what catch invaders till the cows come home sounds ignorant to me. TY very much. I'll go back under my log now.

''We meet on this just thread to discuss for good and all who holds sway over the states streams and points.
US NATIVES Born Right wise to This Fine Land ! Or the Foreign hordes defiling it!'' -Bill the Butcher

Hey @FANATIC. Anytime brother, anytime http://youtu.be/ADmX9eMEV9U

Last edited by Driftwood; 12-28-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM

I just noticed a tiny AZFG crew pouring chemicals into my pool! Did they find out my family is originally from Canada????

We need balance.
I need to know there are untouched or "rehabbed" wild areas in this state, void of crawfish.
I need to catch Apaches in the whites.
I need to fish for big rainbows at the Ferry.
I need to fish for big browns at the Black(ENED) river.