Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM

I started using Glo-In The Dark as a young kid (back in the 70's and 80's). I started using them on Walleye. I then went on to experiment with patterns for Bass and Trout. The Glo-In-The Dark Factor works very nicely. Even Shining Spotlights are an attractor. Yes, Dock Lights,etc. They have been proven on the Redfish, and Speckled Trout down on the Gulf, and fishing for Wahoo, etc. I have used this idea for years on Walleye, Bass, Catfish, Striper, and Trout (especially Big Browns at night).
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Forget Becker at night. Illegal to fish there 30 minutes after official sundown.

However, I have been dreaming of night fishing ever since I picked up an adequate 38 year old boat this year. REally plannng on a lot of night fishing next summer for bass, trout, and pike.

I no absolutely nothing about night fishing, lights for traveling on the water, and to get back to your vehicle.

I purchased a big cigarette lighter light for autos, and am going to wire in a female outlet to my battery for it.

I have heard you don't want to "shine" lights on the water at night. It supposedly can blind the bass for awhile and turn off the feed.

But I am totally a dummy at this so glad to see this thread and topic.

Gem
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM

As far as I know, lights are not a big benefit you when fishing for Largemouth. I have some LED black light strips on the side of my boat I put on there for drop-shotting so I can see my florescent line. You can also get a black light that plugs into a cigarette lighter if you need to see the bite on the line. Otherwise I have never used lights at night for bass. I just cast in areas I think will hold fish. I have never thought about glow in the dark stuff.

Striper fishing this year has been my first experience with lights. You drop the lights into the water to bring in the Shad, and then schools of stripers come to feed on the Shad. You then drop you lure or frozen anchovie down to the school of stripers. Lake Pleasant is filled with Stripers to the point of overpopulation. It is kind of fun and great for kids. I hope to do one of those "Striper on the Fly" guided trips next year at Pleasant through the Hookup so I can figure out what I am doing. I am sure they great to catch on a fly rod if you can get into them, and it is a lot closer than the rim or the white mountains.

I used to fish all the time, and then got away from it until this year. I hope to get out and do a lot of night fishing this coming summer as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

The first time I did a search I found this fishing light company based out of Florida or the gulf somewhere and the prices were from 200-400 or more for the green lights. These were seriously bright or just way over priced.

After reading the reviews and website info it seems they work on any number of fish species in the Gulf from Reds to Sea Trout etc. Even though I never heard of anyone in Arizona using them except for crappie and warm water bass I figure it would still work on trout if put into practice.

It sounds like @Alpine has some experience in this department. I'd love to hear some more of these fish stories about you and the browns where did you try this stuff lakes or moving water?

I imagine it would spook wary trout a bit at first, but when hungry trout see a huge bait ball of dace or fatheads I believe they will come around and feed like most other predatory fish.

Like I said plan on getting these for next season so send me a Pm if you have any experiences. It seems like a legit plan to get into some nocturnal toads that seem to know when the sun goes down the fisherman are gone. Then boom I hit them with the secret weapon and skirt a leech, streamer or a mouse pattern thru my ambush. So until that day, or night for that matter I will have to wait and read on..

Last edited by Driftwood; 11-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Too bad about BL rules/regs be nice to see some tripoloids in the lime light

Also what happen to the pay it forward thread? I have boxes of the card game called 'Fish Stories' that my old man invented and sold at bait shops in the whites back in the day, its alot like rummy (perfect card game for deer camp or fish camp) but instead of matching suits and cards you match dry flies to trout, etc etc ill post some pics but cant find the thread, would like to trade some decks for flies ok thx

Last edited by Driftwood; 11-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Also what happen to the pay it forward thread? I have boxes of the card game called 'Fish Stories' that my old man invented and sold at bait shops in the whites back in the day, its alot like rummy (perfect card game for deer camp or fish camp) but instead of matching suits and cards you match dry flies to trout, etc etc ill post some pics but cant find the thread, would like to trade some decks for flies ok thx
It's a sticky under Buy, Sell, Trade, Give away

http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/...=10303&page=12
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM

Using something to bring fish to you, other than a fly, is chumming in my eyes. Just my opinion. It's perfectly legal and I ain't judgin'.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadders View Post
Using something to bring fish to you, other than a fly, is chumming in my eyes. Just my opinion. It's perfectly legal and I ain't judgin'.
When fishing at night you have to be able to see, right? Sometimes accidents happen and 14 glowsticks fall into the water..
Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Chadders, I was thinking some of the same. I've gladly dropped a line in a swarm of shad while drinking beers at night with my buddy on his boat at Roosie. But, somehow, the thought of doing it is just different when it's called "Crappie fishing" instead of using them to catch our precious trout. Fish discrimination.... it's real!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

No problem Im going out of the box here trying to get a state record.

I have chuming contingent plan too hmmm... a few cans of peas and corn and all the scraps from my crawfish dinner.

I hate to admit it but I have used the smelly anise/craw flavored bass goo on the flies it works good .