Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Bear Canyon Lake

Does anyone know if the lake is accessible by vehicle and if the lake is fishable from shore?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:38 AM
Always Improving

Bear Canyon is pretty much like Chevelon Canyon Lake, in that it is a high walled and heavily treed shoreline. About the only place one can easily fly fish is the dam and a very short distance south of the dam. There is one other location in which you can swing the long rod, and that would be at the very south end of the lake.

Check our PM's for a good access point.

- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM

I think the road is still closed. Contact the Tonto Ranger Station.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:24 PM

The road is still closed due to snowdrifts. Usually does not open until sometime in April. Bear Canyon Lake is on the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest, but you can also get to it by way of the Rim Road from the Coconino NF. The lake may still be ice covered; doesn't get much sun in that canyon.

Willow Springs Lake is open and accessible.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Always Improving

A-S National Forest website & contact information

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/...telprdb5211204

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM

As someone said, you live and learn. When I asked the question about access to Bear Lake, I wasn't clear. Because I wasn't clear, a member sent a PM with directions on how to go to Bear. I wanted to know if the road to the lake is open. Thinking the lake is accessible, we headed for Bear and found the access road closed. We could have fished Willow Springs or the lake in Payson but I was having an off day (the tent story) and didn't think of either.

To make a long story short, we spent the entire day driving. It was to be a two night camping/fishing/shooting trip. We looked for a camping place but soon learned the tent I took turned out not to be a tent (story for another time) so we headed home. I did see the East fork of the Verde River, Tonto Creek and the fish hatchery on Tonto so the trip was a good scouting trip and gave me some valuable information about the Rim. I spent 38 years in Colorado chasing high mountain lakes only to find some of them don't have fish. The pools on Tonto and E. Verde look good but we could not entice a fish to take a fly.

I spoke to a clerk at Bass Pro who told me April 1 is the usual day the road to Woods Canyon and Bear Canyon open. I will take Blumer's advice and call the Tonto Ranger Station before the next trip.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-19-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 PM

The E Verde and Tonto both hold fish even if they are not seen. Just gotta get away from the easy acces points. It's always nice to do some exploring. Makes for some good recon.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:10 PM

What about bringing a float tube down to the lake?
Is that difficult?
I've done it a Chevelon Lake.