Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Washington Park-East Verde

I wanted to alert everyone that a new trail is going up the east side of the east verde from the Washington Park trail head. I hike this area and fish it a couple of times a month. My feeling is the fish below the parking area are so few and far between these days and now with this new trail it just opens the area for more pressure on the few fish available. Arizona Trail Hikers Assoc are building the trail and their reasoning is to move folks off the current SRP road/trail. There were a couple of dozen folks this weekend working on the trail and I discussed this with a gentleman that seemed to be in the know. At least the SRP trail was 100yds off the creek, this is running about 20yds off the creek. [ATTACH]washington park1.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM

That's a pretty little creek. I sure hope that trail users will pay it proper respect. And hopefully G&F will put up quite a few signs showing that it is catch and release only!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I called Chris Wilker at the Payson Ranger District to get an explanation. I will now have some background information before he explains things.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM

From what I have heard. The Arizona Trail Association received some grant money and they are planning to re route that section of the the Arizona Trail away from the utility corridor and into the pines. This section followed the utility corridor and then made a quick turn and headed straight up the rim. They plan on making that climb a little more bearable.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:24 PM

The old "Colonel Devin Trail #290" is being reopened.