Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 04:11 PM

Long rods certainly have their place in this state. There are a couple streams around the Rim that are wide open. There are also a lot of meadows in the white mountains where a long rod is nice.

I guess it depends on how you fish. I use rods up to 13+ ft in length. A lot of rim streams can be frustrating with my shortest rod of 8'10" though.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
Grip? I'm a full wells guy.
I even have a fitting butt on my 5wt. Not because I might hook a tuna but because I drop my gear all the times while making my way down a typical overgrown AZ stream.
Plus the blank is bright gold so I can see it after I drop it.
Jim I remember seeing pics of that CTS Chad built you. Sweet looking stick! If I ever get around to building another rod I may look into the CTS. They have a truck load of color options.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Rod Builder

While not exactly a small stream rod, Epic now offers as 9' 4 and 5 wt carbon fiber blank. These are also rolled by CTS the same people that do the Epic glass blanks.
Epic C (Carbon) series fly rod blanks are high performance fishing tools. The lockup point develops in the top third of the blank, and although recovery rates are fast, the Epic C series would best be described as Mid Flex (Orvis) or Medium fast (Sage).They are light without sacrificing strength (lighter than the equivalent Sage Method btw) and they look absolutely stunning.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjaywhatsup View Post
Long rods certainly have their place in this state. There are a couple streams around the Rim that are wide open. There are also a lot of meadows in the white mountains where a long rod is nice.

I guess it depends on how you fish. I use rods up to 13+ ft in length. A lot of rim streams can be frustrating with my shortest rod of 8'10" though.
Agreed. One of my favorite rods is a March Brown 9ft 3wt. Matched with an Airflo clear ridge tactical line... Sweet setup for shy fish in open meadows, and even at the Ferry when it's all about size 18-22 dries in the slower water (avatar pic)...

I carry this rod almost everywhere, and when the opportunity arises, LOVE to wave it around. That said, for where I fish the most, I find it's the "right rod" only occasionally.

In alpine lakes at or above timberline..... yeah...

Last edited by RollininZona; 03-22-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Looking at getting some equipment for my soon to be completed rod...can't wait!

Does anyone have an opinion on furled leaders? I'm thinking about trying one out.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrZone View Post
Looking at getting some equipment for my soon to be completed rod...can't wait!

Does anyone have an opinion on furled leaders? I'm thinking about trying one out.
I just got back from stopping in at Ron's... your rod is looking great!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Thanks Espi! I can't wait to see it all finished up!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM

So between this thread and my brother-in-law visiting recently with his Sage 8ft 5wt, I've really been thinking about getting a new rod, most likely a 3wt (possibly a 2wt). I was in Bass Pro and messing around with a TFO Finesse 7'9" 3 wt and really liked how it felt.

So I'm looking for something between 7'6" to 8', most likely a 3wt and with I guess a slow action/full flex profile (I normally fish with a tenkara rod, so I'm still a little new to how each company describes this).

Should I just talk with Goduster? Is the TFO good? Bass pro didn't have any Superfine's in the store, I guess I could take a trip up to the Scottsdale store if need be (although this is really on the extreme end of what I want to pay).

Last edited by itsjaywhatsup; 04-25-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:49 PM

A 7'9" 3 wt fills a lot of needs. Nice to have a longer 3 wt, like 8'6" of 9', but all around a rod in that category works well on most streams, and you can fish out of a tube/pontoon boat with it as well. A friend used to fish a 7' 3 wt out of his tube and landed some nice fish in the White Mt lakes fishing midges.

Shorter rods provide more leverage for fighting fish, given heavier - like 3x - tippets for warmwater fishing for bass and bluegills, redears.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:27 PM

I don't fish lakes too often, but if/when I do have a 9ft 6wt for this.

I have a few tenkara rods ranging from roughly 8'10" up to just over 13'. This is and will be a majority of my fishing on technical streams with the room for them.

I want something around 7'6" to 8' for tight streams or streams with slower moving water. I plan on fishing dries mostly, but wouldn't mind having the ability to toss a small streamer.