Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Learning as we go

Haigler Creek Upstream Access

Hey guys this question will probably **** off a few people so if that's you, feel free not to respond. I fully understand not sharing honey holes and all that and if you would rather PM me that's fine but I'm just looking for some clarification on road access. I fished Haigler Creek once about 6 years ago before I picked up a fly rod and was casting rooster tails on some spinning gear. I camped in what I believe was Alderwood Campground that is southwest of the Haigler Canyon Campground. I fished a short section of the creek right next to my campsite and that was it. I am curious about stretches of this creek that I can get away from crowds and where I can access them that doesn't result in what I have heard becomes more canyoneering than hiking. I'm willing to put some miles on my boots but the books I have don't really give me any solid direction. Thanks guys!

P.S.

I had heard about a fish kill that was intended for Haigler to try and introduce the Apache trout in there. Any word on that?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 PM

If you want to get "away" on that creek its going to require some Canyoneering, swimming, or a lot of out of the way hikes with limited access to water here and there. There is even one spot where we carry a log to span a gap that gets washed away every winter it seems.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 PM

I echo Jojackc's sentiments. There is no easy hike on this stream. Gotta be willing to climb, crawl, fall, get bruised, etc. to catch fish here.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmFisher View Post
I echo Jojackc's sentiments. There is no easy hike on this stream. Gotta be willing to climb, crawl, fall, get bruised, etc. to catch fish here.
and get bit, maybe not always willingly.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:29 PM

and poison ivy. Last time I was up there it was bad!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 PM

My buddy Ryan and I went in at Fisherman's Point on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend (May 24th). Amazingly we didn't see anyone until we had hiked upstream a ways to the next campground. I had only fished Haigler once before (last year), and we fished at and downstream of the Alderwood campground also. Last year the water was chocolate milk when we went. This year the stream was gin clear. Made it easy to spot fish, but difficult to get a fly in front of them without spooking them. Ryan is still learning how to fly fish, but we still managed to bring around 10 small fish (rainbows/browns) to hand. The walking wasn't too bad, but we did have to billy goat it a bit at times.

Directions to Fisherman's Point (I don't think this is a secret, hopefully I don't ruffle any feathers by sharing)
- Take 260 out of Payson past Christopher Creek and look for the Colcord (FR291) exit on the right
- Take the Chamberlain Trail (FR200) on the right
- Before you drive down a big hill to go to the Alderwood campground you should see a sign on the left for Fisherman's Point
- You can park there, and it's about a 15 min hike down to the stream, just follow the trail/road behind the sign

Be prepared to be sneaky if you want to catch any of the big boys in the stream. I saw several, but really needed another experienced buddy to help spot the big fish and then guide the cast to them (probably without an indicator) and then let the person fishing know when the fish takes. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

P.S. If my buddy ever gets me the pics from the trip, I'll put a few up following this post.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Fishermans point is the easiest access, I would agree. After Alderwood though it becomes a slot canyon that makes things fun.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 PM

i have fished that creek but its been a while ago i did see some nice fish but they dident take anything i was useing good luck
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 PM

The clear water definitely makes the fishing a challenge, but it's a beautiful stream. The stream immediately above fishermans point can be a tad sketchey so be careful, watch your step.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM

Definitely agree SAT, the stream is beautiful when crystal clear like that. Every pool had fish in it, mostly in the 4-8" range, but we saw quite a few in the 10-13" and a handful of bruisers in the upper teens. What made it extra tough is that there wasn't much flow to the stream. Mostly plunge pools with not much current outside of where the water was falling into the pool. Adding to that you never have room for a full back cast. Every cast was different and you had to be creative. Even broke out the bow and arrow a few times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I enjoy really technical fishing, but it certainly isn't for the impatient or newbies.

Oh, here's a tip, make sure you have a few cicadas in your box. I saw a lot of shells and a live one by the stream. I tried the cicada during the middle of the day, but didn't get any takers. We also got rained out, so we missed trying it out during the evening.