Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Bare Hook Fly

I can't tell you how many times I drifted a nymph below a strike indicator in pocket water. I have caught trout on just about every kind of nymph you can think of but there is one pattern, if you want to call it a pattern, I never tried.

I can remember on many occasions wondering what would happen if I tied on a bare #16 nymph hook of some style then drifted it in a place where there were trout. I remember talking to an angler on the South Platte River who was catching trout on a hook with nothing but one or two layers of thread.

I never did this. What about you?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Good old days

A friend who grew up on a small ranch above Greer told me about his dad who only would fish with hooks rapped in red or black thread. This was back in the 1950's but he always caught fish on the thread hooks.

The good old days.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 AM

The angler on the Platte River had the least adorned fly you can imagine. They were literally just a couple of wraps of different color thread with no tail and the smallest head created not as a head but from a few whip finish wraps.

They were effective midge nymphs, I'm guessing.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Red hooks will catch fish - saw it on the Green with a Gamakatsu bait hook and on the San Juan with a tiny 2487 type.