Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Where Did You Catch Your First Trout?

Learning to Trout Fish in Oak Creek Canyon

Hi- My name is David Abelson. I was born in Phoenix almost 70 years ago! My passion for trout fishing began in 1955, when my family rented a place at Junipine Cabins in Oak Creek Canyon. The owner, Tommy Anderson, taught me how to use small hooks, light leaders & REAL salmon eggs (Atlas Brand-Chinook) to catch my first rainbow trout in the cold, clear waters of Oak Creek.

Now, over 60 years later, I've fished all over the western U.S. and practiced Environmental Law my entire career, all because of catching my first trout near Junipine Cabins in 1955.

I decided to join this board because another member, "Trapper," recently reported an almost identical experience of being taught how to trout fish in Oak Creek Canyon, by Tommy Anderson the owner of Junipine Cabins. His post (Chevlon Canyon thread, 5-31-17) brought back so many memories that I decided to become a member. I hope Trapper reads this and will get in touch with me soon. David
Old 08-22-2017, 01:31 PM

March 23rd, 1978, I arrived at Ft. Carson, CO from Virginia to stay with a high school buddy who was an officer at this post. Two days later, and not knowing a wind knot from an improved clinch knot, he had me in the South Platte River above Deckers (within eyesight of the lower boundary for the Wigwam private fishing club), which is where I caught my first trout behind a large boulder protruding from the surface. It was a stocked rainbow about ten inches in length.

I followed his instructions well. I used his rod, waders (the old heavy canvass boot type Converse waders), reel, lines, hare's ears and expertise with a cork strike indicator. Oh, and we used his Chevy Suburban to drive to Deckers. Life was good that day and it was the beginning of almost 40 years of fly fishing in Colorado.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM

First trout

My Dr. was getting me into fly fishing and tying after a major surgery and retirement. He took me up Paradise Creek on the reservation above Pinetop and started showing me the beginners steps.

He left me alone to suffer but start the new adventure that I was going to need. I was letting a small black something drift and when I started to pull up and recast, **** there was a fish on my fly. I went back to this place on my own after that day and learned lots about the trout.

Thanks Dr. Reeck.

Last edited by Pinetopbob; 08-22-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Isn't it amazing how most of us remember every little detail about the day we caught our first trout!!! Robert Travers wrote a wonderful book entitled simply "Trout Magic." That about says it all Thanks for sharing Bucksnort and Pinetopbob. Honest Abe
Old 08-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Not glamorous but effective... I caught my first trout on the fly while back east visiting some family. One afternoon I went to meet a college friend and her husband for lunch and he wasn't there. Why not? She said he was entertaining a client at the trout club they belonged to. A what? A trout club? She said it's a like a country club with a clubhouse but a private stream and ponds. I was shocked. We left the silly chain restaurant and went to the club. One bloody mary and three trout later I was hooked. THen bought my first fly rod rig with a week of returning from that trip.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM

caught my first trout at Hawley Lake around one fall evening in 1989 ( I was 7) I was driving my father crazy because I was too hyper to sit and watch a line for bites on the spinning rod. Thankfully he decided to show me how to cast a flyrod, and it wasn't too long before a little rainbow decided to eat the parachute adams.

It was all downhill from there, i think that next week I had my own float tube/ waders and my father and I were harassing trout all over the whites and every other water in AZ for the next 10 years, until he passed away due to cancer.

Ill never forget that first fish.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:15 PM

I also fished Oak Creek when I was younger, near Call of the Canyon I think it's called. My dad used to take me and I caught a couple on an ultralight spinning rod but never enjoyed fishing back then and preferred to be sitting in the car waiting.

Just last year after I took my folks to Santa Fe and my dad over to Pecos, I started getting more interested in being outdoors and specifically fishing. A few months ago, dad and I drove to Grant Creek at Mt. Graham. We started from pretty high up the creek and there wasn't much water, we didn't have any luck, and it was pretty cold. I returned solo a while later with my first fly rod, did more hiking/exploring, and caught my first trout on a fly in a beautiful pool. Shortly after that, I took pop back to that same spot and he caught his first on a fly rod also. We've tried a couple other streams since and are always chatting about where to go next. The next trip is Oak Creek West Fork; at the very least, it looks like a beautiful hike!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Grant Creek is an amazing place to have caught your first trout on a fly. Hybrid rainbow/apaches in very challenging little stream, beautiful place and fish.

I brought a friend over there a few years back, loaned him a cane rod and he caught his first stream trout on a dry fly - I was impressed.

I can't recall my first trout landed, but vividly remember my first fly-caught trout - a small brookie on a royal coachman dry in my home stream in the Catskills, the Sawkill Creek that ran through town. Brook trout were stocked in those days, so cannot claim it was a wild fish. The roots of a midstream tree framed the fish, an image I have not forgotten, with my 8' Shakespeare fiberglass 6 wt. 4x tippet was 2&1/2 lbs in those days, which dates me pretty badly.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:00 PM

North Fork of the White River, above the bridge at the Lower Logging Road Campground (the area's not closed off).

No kidding, was on a Popeil Pocket Fisherman with a salmon egg.

Seems so quaint now.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:00 PM

My family and I used to head up to Dunsmuir CA (which is a quaint little drive through town) in the Summertime. We'd stay at one of the few motels that dotted the main drag and sat down the street from the local pool where us kids would go crazy riding down the big wavy slide. Next to that was a Tastee Freeze type place that had all the fried food and soft serve a kid could ever want.

I caught my first trout, a rainbow, on the Upper Sac near there sometime in the mid to late 80's. I wanted to keep it, but my Dad made me let it go.