Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Rattlers on the Rim?

I had this on another tread but it was kinda buried in there. Anyone that can help me narrow down the species of rattlers at the rim elevations around chevy (6400 ft) or through there own experiences in the rim lake area and higher elevations maybe not so much down on tonto and canyon creeks etc. that might be a little lower but what the heck maybe not there pretty close in elv.

Coon tails are the easiest to identify as WesternDB's but all others are tricky, I don’t know what I saw that day on the Chevy trailhead but it didn't have a coon tail and it defiantly had a rattle and it was light brown and tan not sure on the pattern but Im almost certain it wasn't a WDB aka coon tail. This is the problem with misidentification and anti-venoms.

Anyone have experice with what rattlers are up there around 6,000 ft elv along the rim trails? Im looking at the viper chart on snakes of arizona website but havent narrowed it down yet to what I remmeber seeing that day, i saw it twice in the same spot.

Maybe a Prarie Rattlesnake, they are up higher..." This snake is distributed across the plateaus of northeastern Arizona south and east of the Colorado River. In Arizona it is found at elevations ranging from ca. 4,500' to about 9,000'. "

Maybe black tailed..."This snake is found across nearly all of southern Arizona. It is absent from the northeastern plateau region. It occurs at elevations ranging from near sea level in the southwestern deserts to over 8,000' in the sky islands of southeastern Arizona and below the Mogollon Rim. "

Maybe a young Black rattler, This fits the description pretty well, its home range is below and along the rim and the one i saw was a very small yearling and the yearling black rattlers are brown and tan like the one i saw that day. Once they mature they turn all black so maybe...."This snake is found across the central mountains of the state from below the Colorado River in northwestern Arizona, along and below the Mogollon Rim, through the White Mountains, and down into the Pinaleño, Galiuro, Santa Catalina, and Rincons. It is found at elevations ranging from about 4,000' to over 9,000'." Oh this is a match for habitat also look...>. "It is often found in or near rocky drainages with permanent or semi-permanent water but is also encountered on open, rocky slopes." sounds like the chevy trailhead to me..

Also, didnt a forum meber take a pic of a black rattler on a honey hole report a while back, it looked like a blackie and it looked like they were in a creek like tontos bear flats area etc.

********* http://www.reptilesofaz.org/herp-snakes.html **********

Also, nobody has ever heard of bringing there own anti-venom out in the field to match the rattler hatch ? lol

Im not surprised I doubt that you can buy it over the counter at a pharmacy or a hospital but it’s damn important when you’re 1 hour and a half from a town with a hospital.

Does Heber have a hospital that could treat rattler bites, maybe Winslow, forest lakes...nah but Payson for sure.?> Thoose snake boots are a must for backpacking or hiking

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 08-10-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM

I ran into a diamond back hiking up the rim behind pine dont know the elevation though
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytier View Post
I ran into a diamond back hiking up the rim behind pine dont know the elevation though
OK thanks but Ya Pine is up there thats probally on the egde of a WDB's range but Im sure they wander you know, the more I think about this Im leaning more towards a juvenial black rattler that I saw that day but idk.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Sounds like you came across a prairie rattler. They are commonly found at that elevation and I have seen them in similar habitats in southern Utah and they do occur throughout much of AZ. Good thing about most rattle snakes is the rattle. They feed on small rodents and wasting their venom on us is a potential series of missed meals...a dangerous and costly situation for them. FYI, 9 times out of 10 the rattle snake will announce that you are getting too close. When this happens you need to stop, figure out where the buzz is coming from (in the open in the early am, in the bushes in the heat of the day is typical), and GO THE OTHER WAY. Also, be aware of potential snake hiding places when hiking in any area (brush near trail, rocks with dark cool spaces under them, etc. Rattle snakes are not like bull snakes, water snakes, or garter snakes; they do not flee when confronted (but will likely move along after an encounter is over). Their behavior is hardwired to stay put, but to only attack when provoked--indeed, about 50 percent of people bit were provoking the snake and the other 50 percent won't admit to it. Also, DO NOT KILL THE SNAKE ...an attack is considered provocation and you increase the risk of a bite, needlessly kill a spectacular animal, and just make AZ that much less interesting. If you have children or pets with you just get them out of the area (dogs should be leashed for a reason). Rattle snakes are dangerous, but not evil; it is nearly impossible to get bit when you leave the snake alone. I would be more worried about lightning this time of year .

As for antivenom: never hear about any you can get to take with you and if you could, using the wrong one could be worse than the bite. Most first strikes are dry (again, the venom is for feeding not defense), but you should get to a hospital ASAP if bit. I carry an EXTRACTOR bite kit with me (no kit is perfect, or recommended in lieu of medical attention, but this one is my choice to have when choices become limited) as well as a phone and/or 2-way radio to get help.

Hope this helps...please don't kill them (consider it a catch and release without the catch).
Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM

My guess would be a juvenile black rattlesnake or black tailed rattlesnake, both of which I have seen lots of in the Chevelon area and other parts of the rim.
Be careful where you're walking
tight lines, Mark
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragfree2 View Post
My guess would be a juvenile black rattlesnake or black tailed rattlesnake, both of which I have seen lots of in the Chevelon area and other parts of the rim.
Be careful where you're walking
tight lines, Mark
Very nice thanks, I agree the viper chart shows their ranges are a match for that area and elv. on thoose two.

Also, RLN I want to get one of thoose extractor kits like you said there not always recomended but better than nothing in a worst case scenario.

Also watch where you grab your fire wood and always close your tent flap .

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 08-10-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Moment

I think a juvenile black rattlesnake, we have them around the Christopher Creek area. Seems like the monsoon pushes the little fellows out of hiding.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM

The best and only cure is to immediately transport to the Poison Center at Good Sam in PHX.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
The best and only cure is to immediately transport to the Poison Center at Good Sam in PHX.
really, how do you know that, where did you get that friends in healthcare? thats far and to bad its the only place in the state to get good treatment

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 08-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM

I would bet it was an Arizona Black.