Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Bear's vs Ammonia

I had this on the black river thread but it was kinda buried in that old thread. Anyone ever try this method or heard of it before. A great way to prevent contact with bears smelling around your camp. People have been using this to DETEER bears from garabage cans, etc...

-What about bringing a bottle of Ammonia with you camping, I'm surprised nobody mention ammonia as a bear repellent. Rub down your cooler and smellables with it and it smells terrible to bears, smells man-made and keeps them from smelling other odors as well. I bring it with me and rub down all my camp tent, truck doors, kitchen stuff with it, etc...Or if you cleaned and gut a fish on the black river, it’s a good idea to wash your hands in ammonia. If a guy gets pullled out of his tent for smores Im pretty sure a hungry bear would do the same if you smell like fish.

Some online examples "Then take your ammonia and saturate the old rag strips of cloth. The smell of Ammonia will help mask other odors. As well as work as a bear repellant. ..." "Ammonia, on the other hand, can cause severe damage to the nose, mouth, lungs and eyes of the bear and may contribute to the death of the animal."

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 07-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Founding Member.

I would rather not use it for the simple reason that if you were to get it into your eyes you would be pretty screwed.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

It works very well though from what I have read online and I never got any in my eyes.

If Ammonia smells bad to us humans, imagine what it smells like to a powerful nose like a black bear.

Plus it masks other odors. Instead of just packing and hanging smellables away from your tent/camp, this actually will deter them from sniffing about camp period.

They use this method in neighborhoods in Denver and WY. etc with trash can problem bears... so instead of us all worrying about higher caliber deterrents, thought I would let the members know to pack some ammonia with them next trip also.

Go chemical on those curious critters and deter them with extreme prejudice..."I love the smell of NH3 in the morning, smells like Victory!"

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 07-17-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Founding Member.

You could fill a super soaker squirt gun with it.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Squirt The Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
You could fill a super soaker squirt gun with it.
That works great on skunks!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

ya mailmen do it also to keep dogs off them.

I dont think its a good idea to spray a bear with a super soaker full of Nh3 though, might just **** it off and mual you anyways. But seriously THIS WILL DAMAGE BEARS eyes and ears and lungs so I dont condone it unless you are under attack as a last resort becuase the bear will be screwed and strave w/o a nose, etc
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Does human pee have amonia in it or is that a wise tail??
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
FJ Cruiser

A barn full of pheasants creates a very large amount of amonia. Amonia did not keep a bear out of the barn, it feasted on quite a few birds. It smelled so bad in the barn I could last a minute inside.

So if a bear in the woods is hungry or upset and wants you as a meal, your not going to see me caring a bottle in my holster. It's a good old 44 mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Magician View Post
Does human pee have amonia in it or is that a wise tail??
Human pee is good if you get stung by a jelly fish. All so helps cure athletes feet. It's all so drinkable if necessary if you run out of water, but I think I'd rather die than drink it.