Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Any Problems With Bears Or People On Black River?

After having problems with vandals trashing my tent and water supply at Elwood camp ground on the San Carlos reservation on the lower Black River I was wondering how frequently this might happen. I also came upon a bear while fishing and was told about bears in the camp ground getting into someones ice chest.

Please take a moment and share with everyone if you've or someone you know has had problems with people or bears while fishing the lower Black River. It would interesting to know what happened and where it happened.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

we had a bear come in to ticks flat, came right in with little fear of people right up to my moms feet while she was relaxing in camp while we fished. Also had one on the same side of the river as me while wading but thats normal out there.

Only thing that scares me would be the time of year when they have cubs, you could wade up right untop of a angry mother while walking the banks.

What time of year is "baby cub time", spring maybe idk...they stalk around the campsites for fish and whatnot lots of problem bears

Last edited by YettiReconAZ; 06-24-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 PM

There have been bear attacks on the Black River, and trashing campsites looking eats. I don't recall any reports of Mountain lion attacks but they are there also. Many of the bear attacks have been during dry seasons or over long periods of low rain fall. The bears move to the river for water and what food they can find. Most of the attacks come from poor camping. Like having food in your tent. Leaving food around the campsite. Or taking candy bars to bed with you in your sleeping bag. I think some of us have posted several times about the bears at the Black River. The best sighting I had was a sow with 3 clubs at Ten of Diamonds. But, I have always had to knack for finding bear, fresh sign, and know enough to leave them alone. I can't out run one since they can do a 100 yds in under 5 seconds.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 PM

Vandals and Theives all suck. Had a guy steal my hiking boots last year at Chevelon Lake. We had a beer with him the nite before and woke up to find him gone along with my boots.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyfish View Post
Vandals and Theives all suck. Had a guy steal my hiking boots last year at Chevelon Lake. We had a beer with him the nite before and woke up to find him gone along with my boots.
I had a similar situation, only thing is, i woke up before he did and saw them on the bed of HIS truck!!! only one way they got there... so a quick 100 yard march and a stern talking to...

DG

oh and as i had an old timer tell me - "some people's kids"
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM

i have heard a couple of times the g And f and the res will drop off "problem" bears in the area because of the remoteness. not sure if it is true but it explains why the bears in there have no fear of humans. again these are just hunters and fisherman talking not sure how true it is.

jake
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Its not the bears that are the problem, it is the people. Like Bighand mentioned, poor and lazy campers. Keep a clean camp, hang your food high and don't leave food unattended or in a cooler on the ground.

Yes, there are problem bears in the area, not scared of humans and generally speaking, LOTS of bears along the lower and middle stretches of the river. They are smart and know that people mean food.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 PM

I worry about the encounters you may or may not have with the two legged type. Vandalism has grown lately due to the economy and there are those who would recommend carrying a gun (even though its illegal) on the res. With that being said, always beware of your surroundings! The black is some of the most beautiful country but can get scary in a hurry if your not prepared! Bears are present all over the Black but as long as you dont leave trash or food out in the open the bears would rather stay away from us all together.

Last edited by durias; 06-25-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

I have a friend who went fishing there for a weekend. The first night he said he put his food away and left only drinks in his cooler; a few water bottles and about 12 beers. In the middle of the night, he woke up to some noise. He said he listened as a bear rummaged through the cooler then proceeded to pop each beer open one by one. In his words, "Each popping noise was like losing another child." Not many convenience stores in the area!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu View Post
I have a friend who went fishing there for a weekend. The first night he said he put his food away and left only drinks in his cooler; a few water bottles and about 12 beers. In the middle of the night, he woke up to some noise. He said he listened as a bear rummaged through the cooler then proceeded to pop each beer open one by one. In his words, "Each popping noise was like losing another child." Not many convenience stores in the area!
So not only are they problem bears but it seems some are alcoholics too, we need to try and bring some AA meeting out into the woods