Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Mt. Graham info?

Went over to Riggs yesterday, looked like some decent spots for casting from shore. A lot of dead fish around though, maybe 20 or so in a walk around the lake.

More interested in the streams, anyone tried them?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Backcountry rambler

I don't have very useful answers to your questions, but I can help refine your questions.

I used to have a thing for finding small streams. This was back in the 80s, so my information is about 20 years old. Hopefully someone can bring us up to date regarding streams around the Grahams.

I never fished Marijilda Creek in the Grahams, which had browns, because it's lower elevation than some other places and I heard it was pretty snakey. I did once fish Ash Creek pretty high up and caught small browns. The best of the creeks is probably Grant, both high up and lower down near Ft. Grant. Used to be you could wear yourself out catching small rainbows behind Ft. Grant. Don't know what it's like now. The 2002 drought and other conditions might have changed all that. Nor do I know what the access situation is. Used to be you had to be at the gate at a certain time like 8 a.m. in order to drive through. They may or may not have alternate access nowadays, I don't know.

Also, there used to be a shallow lake called Snow Flats that had brook trout. It was weedy and a fun place to throw flies. I'm wondering what has happened to it. Unless someone bulldozed it deeper it's probably become a fishless cienega by now.

Now if someone would like to update and/or correct what I've just said, that would be great.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM

The large forest fire a few years ago wiped out the streams on the north side of the mountain, Marijilda with brookies, Ash and other small creeks (Fry Creek,etc) had hybrid rainbow/apache trout in them. There are still a few fish in lower and upper Ash, I believe, and the three streams are due to be rehabbed this fall. The only place I heard of browns was in Fry Mesa Reservoir, but they are gone.

Jason Kline on this board knows the schedule, if there is one, for stocking gila trout on the northern slope streams, maybe how long it will be shut down for fishing after the stocking - two years?

Lower Grant Creek is accesssible from the bottom and those fish will remain as is, according to the current plan - thank-you G&F for leaving those hybrids (rainbow/apache) alone. Guess they are 90 something% apache genes, and the gate is unlocked for the time being. Tough fishing, but an amazing little ecosystem that has survived tough times on the side of a beautiful mountain.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Super Robot Monkey Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
Went over to Riggs yesterday, looked like some decent spots for casting from shore. A lot of dead fish around though, maybe 20 or so in a walk around the lake.

More interested in the streams, anyone tried them?
Call Game and Fish and let them know about the fish kill, I'm sure they would be interested.

Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Mt Graham

Fish kill: 20 fish is not many, my guess is this are fish released after being deeply hooked or poorly handled. Riggs gets a ton of pressure this time of year.
Streams:
There are still fish in Ash and Grant, both have hybrids. You can find fish below the mill site on Ash, but it is a good hike down there. Grant has small fish at the top reaches. There are no browns or brookies, that I know (and I've surveyed them extensively), in any of the streams up there. Frye is fishless, and Marijilda may as well be, the fire and subsequent ash flows took care of these streams.
Ash Creek is scheduled for renovation next year, pending paperwork approval by the FS
If you have any questions, PM me.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Thanks Jason! Good info.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM

There are browns and brookies also in Riggs. I caught a bunch last fall. Nothing over 12" but lots of them and lots of wind! Really weedy shorelines are where the brookies were and the browns were near the rocky dam!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to KRD
I have yet to catch a rainbow out of riggs. I have caught many browns, most around 13" and a few brooks.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM

I don't think Some of the people on this site would care for my opion on the Graham's, so I'll keep it nice. Grew up fishing there. Nothing like staying a couple of night's fishing Ash Creek. I'm sure the fire a couple of years ago did it in. I was In Safford While it was burning, broke my heart. You were wondering about Snow Flat. There is a small pond there. When I was a boy, it was the Boy Scout Camp, until the Forest Service put the scout's off the mountain. The last time I was there it was just a dry camp, the pond was still there, but I don't know if any fish are ever put into it. It's silted up pretty bad. Was some good fishing in the other creeks, don't know how they are now. From what I read here, sounds like the fire has killed out the creeks and may be for sometime to come. To bad, it use to be a great place.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Snow Flat does have a small tank, but no trout. Last time I checked it was really shallow and had fathead minnows. If you go up, please be very "bear aware". I was up this week and saw a lot of folks being very careless with thier food/trash. It is also still very cool up there, mid 30's at night on the top, be prepared....