Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
strich anch

Pale Morning Done

by Jeff Hull... Curious if anyone else has read or is reading this. I'm about 1/2way through (reviews & description at bottom of Amazon link):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks for posting this.

How do you like it?

Sounds like it might be a good companion for the trip to Montana next month.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
strich anch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen
Thanks for posting this.

How do you like it?

Sounds like it might be a good companion for the trip to Montana next month.
Its pretty good...I've been working so much lately that I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it off. At best I get in about 10 pages or so just before bed. Interesting premise - the main character (Marshall) lives by himself on his father's ranch in Montana and tries to (without financial assistance) make it on his own by constructing a spring creek. Lots of good local politics, flyfishing passages, love triangle struggles, etc. make it worth the read so far.

-aaron
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

At one point I was hoping Marshall would just shoot himself...the character is an idiot when it comes to women and totally lacks any semblance of self confidence in real life situations. The premise seemed largely fabricated on the incompetence and inaction of the main characters. But, it was nice to read about fishing the Flathead and western Montana. A fair winter read that stimulated my imagination to recall Montana fishing dreams. Once you have read Brown, McGuane, Maclean, Leeson, Babb, Kustich, Traver, Brautigan, Harrison, and Gierach and you still have time on your hands (like fogged in at Sitka or Juneau) then Jeff Hull’s Pale Morining Dun is something to consider.

Last edited by stoneflynut; 05-18-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:16 PM

Great list of authors stonefly. I have not read any of Leeson, Babb, Kustich, Traver, or Brautigan. Would you have particular titles from them you would recommend?

Also, if you include Brown (assuming you are talking about Haig-Brown), I would have to offer one of his disciples as well - Steve Raymond.

I think of those I have read, McGuane has become my favorite although Harrison trancends the genre more than the rest arguably.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Seldom…would have gotten back sooner but was engaged in actual fishing instead of the virtual kind as provided by the many titles lurking out there.

AAAAH Yes! My bad for leaving out Steve Raymond’s The Year of the Angler. Have you read The Year of the Trout? I hear it’s pretty good. I also left out The River Why by David James Duncan, who also wrote the dialogue for Trout Grass, the video by Ed George, a Flagstaff fellow. Which brings us to Jerry Kustich’s At the River’s Edge which should be read if only because he is a cane rod builder for Winston in Twin Bridges, MT. Much of Trout Grass centers on that operation and there are clips of Duncan fishing with McGuane. Kustich also writes for some of the fly-fishing mags.

James R. Babb is the fishing editor for Gray’s Sporting Journal. His book, River Music, is sublime; one of my favorite reads.

Robert Traver is the pen name of John Voelker, who was a Michigan Supreme Court Justice until the success of his best seller, Anatomy of a Murder. His book Trout Madness is a classic and Trout Magic isn’t bad either.

Ted Leeson does gear review for one of those fly-fishing mags I subscribe to but I can’t remember which one. Anyway, I recommend his book The Habit of Rivers.

Richard Brautigan. Well, I’m no literary expert but if Hunter S. Thompson is the father of Gonzo literature, Brautigan was its Grandfather. An interesting character, to say the least, Brautigan lived in the S.F. Bay area and was friends with Harrison and they all hooked up with the likes of McGuane, Buffett and Jackson Browne in the Livingston area in the 60”s. His book, Trout Fishing in America, is off-beat, abstract and not widely appreciated but the Cleveland Wrecking Yard entry is classic. One year he failed to show up for hunting season so Harrison called to have someone check on him and they found him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Certainly I’ve left out more than a few, and so, interested in some you may recommend. Always seeking good lit….stoneflynut
Old 05-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Thanks. Cool - now I have some more to read.

Year of the Trout is similar to Year of the Angler.

Both of which I occasionally pull from the shelf to read from again.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneflynut View Post
Richard Brautigan. Well, I’m no literary expert but if Hunter S. Thompson is the father of Gonzo literature, Brautigan was its Grandfather. An interesting character, to say the least, Brautigan lived in the S.F. Bay area and was friends with Harrison and they all hooked up with the likes of McGuane, Buffett and Jackson Browne in the Livingston area in the 60”s. His book, Trout Fishing in America, is off-beat, abstract and not widely appreciated but the Cleveland Wrecking Yard entry is classic. One year he failed to show up for hunting season so Harrison called to have someone check on him and they found him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
I just finished reading Trout Fishing in America.

It is not hard to believe Mr. Brautigan spent time in a mental institution. Bizarre stuff, but an entertaining read.

Right now I am going though Zipping My Fly - Moments in the Life of an American Sportsman by Rich Tosches.

He is as hilarious as Brautigan is bizarre. Makes Gierach seem dull.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

I also highly reccommend "The River Why", love the beginning when he describes the relationship of his father/mother flyfisherman/bait fisherman --classic
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Brautigan hung out with McGuane, Harrison and painter/author Russell Chatham in Montana, his daughter wrote a biography after he died. Thought her name was Amy , but cannot find my copy anywhere and a quick Google search revealed little about that book. Guess Brautigan fought serious depression his entire life, finally succombed, a sad story, but he was a brilliant author, we loved him in the sixties. "Confederate General from Big Sur" comes to mind, will have to reread that someday.

A recommendation: "Just Before Dark," a collection of Jim Harrison short stories, essays, poems. All of those mentioned were, or are great writers and their fishing stuff is spectacular.

Got to see a bootleg copy of a film, probaly 70's vintage, of a thing called "Tarpon," underwritten by their French count friend, Guy del Valdine (sp?), set in the keys - featured, McGuane, Chatham, Harrison, Richard Brautigan in their thirties. They halffheartedly tried to sell it and got jacked around so much they forgot about it, would be cool if somebody issued it for release - great shots of tarpon inhaling flies and interesting conversations with allthose guysd, and some famous (at the time) Keys guides.