Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Talkalai Lake San Carlos

I was looking on the map and noticed this large body of water as big as Point of Pines. Does anyone know if there are game fish and is it fishable with a rec-pass? I have come across some large tanks while duck hunting the San Carlos of road 1000 and saw fish rising. Does any one ever throw a line up there on the res?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrentP
Talkali lake has some good bass in it. Its hard to get to, and hard to launch a boat. A few years back it had some type of fish kill, but its still a decent lake from what some freinds have told me.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Talkali is considerably larger than Point of Pines Lake - more like Patagonia Lake down south here in acreage and depth.

It was managed as a trophy lake by the tribe many years ago, but don't hear too much about it these days. Has cranked out some big fish in the past, a pretty lake, hard to access from the east side, a long kick across, so pontoons boat are preferable to floattubes. Largemouth, crappie, sunfish, channel cats. You fish treetops and tend to lose flys, I never caught much, but they were invariably nice sized fish.

Almost an urban lake for the town of San Carlos, we have run into some strange characters hanging around the launch points - never had any trouble, but it is a little weird at times.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:19 PM
aka twelvepoundlunker

I've fished it a couple of times. Nice bass and cappie some years. I have never had trouble there but the rez has some gang problems in that area and have heard of some problems from time to time. San carlos permit is needed. Not sure if I'd feel comfotable camping there, but then again I don't feel comfortable even camping at san carlos lake. Just about every time I have camped there I have either had something stolen or had some drunks messing around.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 PM

San Carlos Res.

I had a recent experience at Talkalai. The lake looks like it should hold some nice fish, but the locals use the place as a giant junkyard and beer garden. Candidly, I was very uneasy about the activity we watched. I wouldn't fish it again.

All the unfortunate stereo-types you've ever heard of about our native American brothers were in clear evidence around the lake. The San Carlos tribe could take some lessons from their White Mountain cousins about using and preserving the wonderful resources that are theirs.

I mean no disrespect to the people, but it only takes the actions of a few to ruin it for everyone.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Yeah, heard there was a kill, though it always seemed to hold good water - the river usually ran pretty steadily into the lake and spilled over at the dam. We have had some very dry years, so it could have had problems.

Great variety of nesting birds, reeds and great cover all around the lake, beavers swimming around - very fertile place, lots of life.

About the same distance, driving time, as Roosevelt from Tucson. You need a regular San Carlos tribal fishing license, boat permit (even for a tube) as well. Not as windy as San Carlos lake, so locals hit it for crappie and bass, go for cats at night, even though the launching facilities are not great for boats.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 PM

thanks for the info- I think I'll fish else where. I was noting a large tank on the way to Black Crossing and there were some bass there, I'll try that.

Be safe
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Alex, STAY AWAY from my duck hunting spots man!!! Thanks again for everything on the Christmas Tree Trip. Talk to you soon.

Jim