Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Havasupai?

I am going to Havasupai next week. I was wondering if there would be any opportunity to fish. Anyone ever have the experience? My thoughts are that the water is probably too warm (for trout, at least) and the tribal lands issue would complicate things but thought I would ask. Thanks for any insights.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

I have been to Havasupai a couple times, what an awesome and amazing place. I have never tried to fish it and don't really recall seeing any fish there but i am not sure. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places in AZ though.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM

I've been there twice, and thought the exact same thing. Though the water isn't too warm (its spring water and probably around 60-65* tops, if I remember correctly... but this is just guestimation so I could be way off), there is way too much swimmer activity to fish. And while there I never saw any fish though I was looking hard. I've been told that there are rumors of fishing below the lowest falls, but that'd be a good hike, and I have no solid evidence of fish. Have fun at havasupai, its as much fun as fishless water gets. Oh ya and make sure you hike out EARLY in the morning (start hiking when its dark enough that you need a flashlight, you won't regret it). And watch out for flash floods.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Yes there are trout at Havasupai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllee View Post
I am going to Havasupai next week. I was wondering if there would be any opportunity to fish. Anyone ever have the experience? My thoughts are that the water is probably too warm (for trout, at least) and the tribal lands issue would complicate things but thought I would ask. Thanks for any insights.
I have actualy fished Havasupai about 12 years ago, and cought several wild bows. It is true that you need to get below Moony fall to have much of a chance to get away from all the swimmers. As for dealing with the Tribe, I seem to recall that the fee for camping coverd all use including fishing.

One more thing in response to the previous post, in my experience the best way to hike Havasupai is at night both ways. It is much more enjoyable when you are not being baked by the sun.

Ok that is my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Apprentice Rod Holder

There are trout at the confluence w/the Colorado River. I had an opportunity to go from Lee's Ferry to Lake Mead a little over a decade ago on a rafting trip with what was called the Grand Canyon experience. (This was a program for teachers from around the country to study the Colorado Plateau area and do research in the Grand canyon.) I took a fly rod along and caught fish almost everywhere we stopped. Got to talking to DJones a while back and learned that he had the same opportunity. Turns out we both had the experience of catching a couple of humpback chubs during the trip, and having the trip administrator making us put up the fly rods after our second endangered humpback chub. Thank goodness for catch and release. We are probably in a pretty exclusive humpback chub club. Anyway- When we got to the mouth of Havasupai I remember watching some trout rising along a current seam in the main river. I don't know how far upstream they might exist up Havasupai, but Moony falls would definitely be a very effective barrier.

PS- Back in the early 70's while working for the USFS out of the Tusayan District, I did some trail maintenence on the switchbacks of the upper trail. There was a place where the trail crosses a slab of solid rock, and the horses had trouble with slipping on the smooth rock. Another guy and I hauled a gas powered jack hammer in and cut some cross hatches perpendicular across this rock to give the horses traction. When you go, I'd be interested to know if that rock still has those grooves in it.

Last edited by Flashback; 05-28-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
aka twelvepoundlunker

You would definetly have to fish closer to the colorado (if not right near the mouth of it) to catch trout there. It is a place of beauty though. You would never think you're in AZ down in the canyon, it's like a tropical oasis. Hike later or earlier in the season to avoid the heat, I would not do it in the summer unless you take the donkeys or helicopter in.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Way back in the day the creek was stocked with rainbows and they grew large and fast. The trout did not survive the massive floods that repeatedly hit the watershed during each rainy season.

jOE d
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Trout at Havasupai

When you hike down Havasupai from the top it's 8 miles to the villiage, another 2 to Havasu Falls, one more mile to Mooney, and a couple more down to Beaver Falls. 3 years ago I know there were a lot of big browns below Beaver Falls. I spoke to a guy who caught one over 5 pounds there. About that time I began reading articles that either the tribe or game and fish were going to poison them in favor of native species. I'm pretty sure they did. I'd check before hauling your fly rod all the way down there.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM

Havasupai

Thanks for all the good info! I may take a rod and give it a try below Mooney Falls. I'll let you know what happens. If anyone else has fished there recently, please let me know. Thanks again!