Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 PM

Seldomseen,

From my experience with turn over in lakes, the yukkie stuff from the bottom comes to the top. I see a lot of floating green stuff at the surface and down a short distance.

Is this the turn over you mention?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Not sure if all of them turn over like that but, it sure seems like some do. Reservation Lake comes to mind.

There is at least a point where some lakes get turbid and it precipitates out then clears. Hopefully someone else has some better insight that that. If you can catch that window before the lid goes on, that is some of the best fall fishing.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 07-17-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Seldomseen,

Many years ago, I was camping and fishing on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. Some of the lakes were turning over to the point where they were unfishable and you could see green vegetation making its way down the outlet streams. Not all were that way. We decided to fish one small lake with turnover. We did catch a few but for me, I'll take clear water.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Founding Member

Turnover

Mike....Brian Chan told me long ago that turnover occurs when the lake water hits 39 degrees. The colder water is denser/heavier and sinks to the bottom, pushing the warmer water to the top. It sometimes brings debris along with it.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Thanks John. I suppose Brian Chan knows a thing or two about fishing the water column.

So I guess it comes back to the lakes that stratify.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM

This would not account for the pea soup conditions we see in the summer. Algae bloom?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Founding Member

Algae

Yes....algae needs sun to grown, giving oxygen back into the water. When Monsoons hit and the clouds appear it kills the algae, producing blooms which take oxygen out of the water...bad. It's starting to appear up here now in Big. Bloom isn't bad yet as it is mainly on the surface. When the winds blow it pushes it to the side. A couple years ago the bloom was so bad the lake had clumps of gunk floating on it. There probably are other reasons for algae blooms but this is mainly what happens up here.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:05 PM

Algae growing in warm water and sunny conditions is the bloom. During the day, algae photosynthesize, taking in carbon dioxide and creating sugars and oxygen, which can improve oxygen conditions in the lake. Simultaneously, but in a totally different process, plants respire, meaning they take in small amounts of oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. This can mean that oxygen conditions improve during the day when plant photosynthesis outproduces respiration, but can diminish dissolved oxygen and increase carbon dixoide at night. Sometimes there can be minor fish kills at night due to the lack of oxygen.

When clouds decrease sunlight and water cools, that algae dies off. As it decomposes, bacteria use large amounts of oxygen. This is why sometimes when algae dies during monsoons, we also see fish kills.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Some of the lakes I've seen with green stuff at or near the surface may be algae and not lake turnover. As I said, I'll take clear water any day.