Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Sunglasses

I picked up some Costa's a few weeks ago. I got them in a copper lens.

I have used them a for about 7 days of fishing streams that have tree's around them, shady areas. I find it hard to see into the water with them. My old Walmart set did a lot better but the lens color was different.

What color lens is everyone using and for what situation? I was thinking about getting a pair of Ray bans with a green lens.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Learning as we go

I also have a pair of Costa's with an amber or copper color lens. I love them. Yeah sometimes if might be tough when you are under the tree canopy and the shade is mostly covering the water. I just figure I'm not going to carry a second pair of glasses on the water just to cover every situation. I haven't found a lens color that offers the best color contrast, glare reduction, and eye relief in every situation. If you do, let us know! I am also interested in those green lenses. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM

I have the Costas in Copper 580 also. But mine are prescription and I had them put the green mirror backing on them. Makes it easier to see in shady situations and reduces back glare.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM

I have Natives, both Hardtop XP and Dash XP models with interchangeable lenses all the way from clear to smoke gray. I find myself using copper most of the time and yellow in the evenings and clear at dark. My default is copper for fishing and smoke gray for driving. I have to say I am pretty satisfied with those colors.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM

I have the 580's in green. I wear them for Bass fishing the local lakes and all my Fly Fishing up north.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invasionqt View Post
I have Natives, both Hardtop XP and Dash XP models with interchangeable lenses all the way from clear to smoke gray. I find myself using copper most of the time and yellow in the evenings and clear at dark. My default is copper for fishing and smoke gray for driving. I have to say I am pretty satisfied with those colors.
Yes on all of this. The Natives do provide some great flexibility and the lens changes are super quick. Otherwise, I own a few pairs of Maui Jims and really appreciate their glass.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 PM

I have the 580p and 580g and haven't had a problem. I just got a pair of Smith Chromapop, so I'm curious to see if I notice a difference....
Old 06-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmoore View Post
I have the 580p and 580g and haven't had a problem. I just got a pair of Smith Chromapop, so I'm curious to see if I notice a difference....
I'd be interested in hearing the results.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Sophomoric Member

Smith Amber photochromatic lenses cover a wide spectrum is you only have one pair.

The amber is about as light as you can get (in terms of visual light transmission) without going straight yellow or clear. So they work well in shade and at the beginning/end of the day. But they also darken in bright light, which makes them usable in the middle of the day.

I also have Chromopop+ glasses which I like a lot for a single pair