Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Weekly Fly Tying Contest

Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Alright sandbaggers, this is my second tie and post, and both of them are as ugly as sin. Yours would look like the Mona Lisa in comparison. So post them up! What's your excuse not to?

Anyways, this I tied this one using Jason's simple yet extremely effective tip. To be honest, I could have wrapped it forwards and back another time.

It's an ugly tie, but its only my second try at ANY hackle. I wish I could tie mine as perfectly as Mike, but hey, he's got a lot more experience than me.

Another try at a crippled hackle style fly.

Build

Completed
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Alright sandbaggers, this is my second tie and post, and both of them are as ugly as sin. Yours would look like the Mona Lisa in comparison. So post them up! What's your excuse not to?

Anyways, this I tied this one using Jason's simple yet extremely effective tip. To be honest, I could have wrapped it forwards and back another time.

It's an ugly tie, but its only my second try at ANY hackle. I wish I could tie mine as perfectly as Mike, but hey, he's got a lot more experience than me.

Another try at a crippled hackle style fly.

Build

Completed
Looks just a good as the others, keep it up...

CHIEF
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Thanks Emmerson and Jason. I probably shouldn't post so many, but I really enjoy getting the critiques as this is new to me.

I tied this one before jason surrendered more of his useful insights, so it might not be as good as I believe I can do now.

No name for this pattern, I've been making em' up as I go along (though they are probably allready established patterns)

Recipe

Size 16 dry fly hook
UTC 70 Denier thread, red
Fine silver wire for ribbing
MINUTE amount of black antron dubbing behind hackle
Gambel's Quail soft hackle (it will run out soon, but thank goodness I had the forsight to keep the feathers from one of the quail I got last season, even though I wasn't tying at the time)

Oh, thank goodness for hackle pliars

NOTE: THE STRAY THREADS ARE LITTLE BITS OF UNATTATCHED ANTRON FROM THE DUBBING, IT IS NOT AS SLOPPY AS IT LOOKS.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 AM

Looks good Colton! Keep it up and they will just get better.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Thanks Emmerson and Jason. I probably shouldn't post so many, but I really enjoy getting the critiques as this is new to me.

I tied this one before jason surrendered more of his useful insights, so it might not be as good as I believe I can do now.

No name for this pattern, I've been making em' up as I go along (though they are probably allready established patterns)

Recipe

Size 16 dry fly hook
UTC 70 Denier thread, red
Fine silver wire for ribbing
MINUTE amount of black antron dubbing behind hackle
Gambel's Quail soft hackle (it will run out soon, but thank goodness I had the forsight to keep the feathers from one of the quail I got last season, even though I wasn't tying at the time)

Oh, thank goodness for hackle pliars

NOTE: THE STRAY THREADS ARE LITTLE BITS OF UNATTATCHED ANTRON FROM THE DUBBING, IT IS NOT AS SLOPPY AS IT LOOKS.
RiverRino,

The best one I've seen to date, catch fish on the pattern..good job.

CHIEF
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

you are getting better, no doubt. hackle fibers are proper length and well distributed.
and yes hackle pliers are pretty important. do you have rotating pliers? those are helpful as well. keep it up. that last fly looks great. keep striving to improve.