Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 AM

The goal of the heritage Brown trout of Europe is to eradicate native USA species of any fish they encounter. The Apache trout were almost eradicated by Brown trout from the White Mountain Apache tribal land until fish barriers were built and the Browns were mechanically removed above the barriers. I have a large power point presentation explaining this.
New Mexico is extremely close to having their heritage Rio Grande Cutthroats, in the Rio Santa Barbara River, eradicated by Brown trout because NM has done nothing to stop the Brown trout invasion there.

Last edited by joe; 01-12-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
The goal of the heritage Brown trout of Europe is to eradicate native USA species of any fish they encounter. The Apache trout were almost eradicated by Brown trout from the White Mountain Apache tribal land until fish barriers were built and the Browns were mechanically removed above the barriers. I have a large power point presentation explaining this.
New Mexico is extremely close to having their heritage Rio Grande Cutthroats, in the Rio Santa Barbara River, eradicated by Brown trout because NM has done nothing to stop the Brown trout invasion there.
Hybridization of Apache and Gila trout with various strains of rainbows also made a large contribution to the decline of natives.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Litespeed1, if you think agencies "lurk" mysteriously on this forum to find some hidden population of brown trout that we can kill, you are sadly mistaken. We come on here to help, answer questions, educate, and generally communicate with anglers.

You are correct that this site is used as a resource, but not as you infer. This site is a great resource for talking about fishing, learning new tips, and mentoring others.

And to say any agency's goal is to eradicate this state of browns is just plain wrong. Give me a call sometime (AZGFD, Pinetop, 928-532-3692) or PM to me and I'd gladly take the time to explain exactly how trout are managed in this state. From your tone in this thread, I think it would surprise you.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 PM

The good news is that there are brown trout in almost every stream in Rim Country. The second good news is that many of the areas that hold browns are either somewhat remote or are very near housing developments so I'm hoping, based on the Haigler Creek homeowners opposition to the poisoning of upper Haigler, that the agencies won't be able to execute their plan. Considering that original browns were intentionally stocked by AZG&F many decades ago, as far back as about 1960's, usually carried into remote streams by mule, it's quite the irony that we dumb flyfishers have to hope to protect them from the bureaucracies..
Old 01-15-2018, 02:57 PM

M Lopez,

I did start this thread somewhat facetiously. My apologies for characterizing "agencies" in such a bad light. Sincerely. I was not writing about you or Kelly. Really.
But....I think there actually is a Federal mandate to eliminate brown trout from our waters. In some cases I support these efforts 100%. I sincerely do. But not all waters.

So I declared the state is BROWN trout free. I hadn't caught any browns because they are all gone....and therefore I wasn't going to post any more pics because there would no longer be pics....
because I'm not catching any browns because there are no browns.....

There have been biologists who through gathering location information from THIS SITE summarized the brown trout populations in our state waters for use in implementing a removal plan.
You are correct. "LURKING" was not nice nor accurate.
They were in PLAIN SIGHT.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:45 PM

M Lopez,

Jus curious. What is YOUR position on attempting to remove Brown Trout from the section of Colorado River known as Lees Ferry?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:33 PM

It is a real bummer to see people who are trying to help improve fisheries being treated so poorly. It is even more disappointing to see that people don't want to contact fisheries biologists to get real information on the management of fisheries they are interested in. Fisheries biologists are experts in their field and have a lot of tools to work with. So if you start to catch a lot of large Brown Trout at a fishery, you can be sure biologists have already seen the same trend in the data they collected during sampling.

State agency fish biologists get their paychecks from the sale of fishing licenses and gear. It is in their interest to maximize the potential of sport fisheries when it does not conflict with important native, threatened or endangered species. Agencies have to find a balance between maximizing sport fisheries that produce revenue and complying with federal laws protecting native species. The problem is that Arizona has very little trout water to start with and two native trout species too manage for, so these conflicts are more acutely felt by anglers than most other places in the west where trout water is vastly more abundant and their is greater opportunity to provide a diversity of native and nonnative fisheries.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM

Ok,

Enough 'chirping' back and forth.
So, where are the Brown Trout?
That's was the point of the original thread.
And I would like to know.....
Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 PM

Jim,

Where to Catch Brown Trout (*indicates Wild Trout eligible locations)
Black River*
Little Colorado River*
West Clear Creek*
West Fork Oak Creek*
Oak Creek*
Chevelon Creek*
Chevelon Lake*
River Reservoir*
Upper Wet Beaver Creek*
East Clear Creek*
Canyon Creek*
Horton Creek
Lower Haigler Creek*
Middle Tank
Elk Hill Tank
JD Dam Tank
Kinnikinick Lake
Santa Fe Lake
Lynx Lake
Rose Canyon Lake
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM

...starting this thread really backfired on me......

My thought was to proclaim all the browns had been removed from the state so that the "powers that be" could move on to the next state to remove their evil browns.

It's all good though.

Tight lines all.