Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Trout Bum In Training

Been a while..

Hey Everyone,

Been a while since Iíve posted.. Been a while since Iíve fished sadly as well. Iím headed to Pyramid Lake this year and need a couple new reels.. what are the best to buy these days? Iím not looking for high end but want to make sure they will last. Thanks for everyoneís help and I will make sure to post a report once I get back!

-Ryan
Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 PM
Learning as we go

There are a lot of good reels out there. Just depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I would like to say that you get what you pay for, but in recent years I was lucky enough to be gifted a super expensive fly reel from my wife. Hands down the most expensive reel I have ever fished. And I had nothing but problems with it. After 5 trips back to the manufacturer's repair shop, I sold it and got something different. Maybe I just got a lemon?

In my experience (limited as it may be) I think that most makers of fly reels today put out quality stuff. Some are definitely better than others of course. I look for a few things in a reel. Is the drag sealed? This may be a bigger factor in salt water, but it's still in the back of my mind. Not so much on my small stream clicker reels though. It's not like the fish is going to run like the ones you are going after at Pyramid. Weight is another factor. Just making sure the reel balances the rod I am going to cast it on so I have the most pleasurable day on the water.

I have had good luck with the Orvis Battenkill reels (click style) for my small stream outfits, but they did recently come out with a disc drag version that runs around $150.

I have heard good things about the Redington Zero reels as an inexpensive option. Never fished one but for around $90, they keep coming up in gear articles that I have flipped through as a solid option.

The Ross Evolution reels may be worth a look as well. They have been around for a while and continue to do well.

I love my Galvan Torque reels. I just picked up another one to put on my new 6wt to go to Idaho this year. They are beautifully machined, highly ported to reduce weight, and have something like 32 drag settings to make SMALL adjustments if I need to put just a bit more pressure on a running fish. Definitely on the higher end, and I don't think it necessary. Just a preference.

Good luck picking something out. Of the 3 main pieces of equipment (rod, reel, and line) the reel is the least important. So don't stretch yourself. Let us know what you decide on and how it works for you on your trip.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM

I’ve had tons of different stuff from high end to inexpensive. I’ve gotta say, my go to reel these days is the Redington Behemoth. Dirt cheap at around $120-$130. I bought my first one for a 7 wt when I was fishing salt in Costa Rica. It’s clearly not designed for salt but a good rinse after fishing and it has held up amazing. I now have another for my latest 6 weight. Can’t say enough good things about this reel. I’d encourage you to give it a look. Plus they look sexy all spooled up.

Last edited by kad1979; 01-27-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM

+2 for the behemoth. Strongest drag in its class, ( dual carbon disk) large arbor ( hard to find a real these days thatís not) will def. stop a big Lahontan. Quick rinse after fishing the mid or salt and youíre dialed.

The rise is a good option now if you are wanting a sealed drag system and cncíd body ( $190ish$ ) sealed drag is a good option for pyramid, alkaline water can destroy gear if you donít rinse.

And for the behemoth lovers thereís a new salt friendly option coming soon
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 AM

All depends on your budget. High end can mean different things to different people. I usually recommend Nautilus to people looking for an awesome reel at not a super high price. I prefer them to my Hatch.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM

The cheeky boost or limitless are pretty awesome. Give em a feel. Good price point large arbor and with a flick of the knob you can have all the line outside the reel spoiled up when a big fish grabs. They have a set that comes with 2 extra spools and a case for a good price as well. My lady has one, and the quality is on point. That or a galvan torque are high on my list-especially at the price points.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I converted most of my bass gear to Allen Flyfishing reels. I have a couple Trout IIs but the Kraken is my favorite for the big stuff. I also have a Cheeky Boost that I like also. All these are $200 or less.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Of course Galvan and Nautilus are adored for higher priced reels, and there are many good options for less. I found a Ross Animas for a steal in a Cabela's bargain cave and love it, super strong drag, nice design, hard, tough, anodized finish. I fish the Arkansas tailwater at least twice a week (living 5 minutes away is sweet!) and it is holding up wonderfully. The Cimarrons are nice too. I think people tend to forget about the mid priced Ross reels but they still make some amazing stuff.