Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Black River & Blue River

What is the earliest time for good access to these two rivers?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Depends on where and the snowfall or lack there of. Lots of access points up and down each. Basically, year round access though.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Westy, thanks. I was reading about the Black in Rohmer's book and made the decision it is entirely on Indian land but when looking at a map, it appears to be on public land. Either I have forgotten how to read a map I misinterpreted the book.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Learning as we go

Part of it is and part of it isn't. Like Westy said, it depends on where you are trying to access it.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM

dp820,

I don't want to fish it on the reservation. Is fishing better on the reservation?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Learning as we go

It has been a long time since I have been up there. I was fishing up there an hour before the Wallow fire burned through it and I haven't been back since. Before that, I had success on the reservation and off. You don't have the fish on the reservation to be successful on the Black. My understanding is that since the fire, the better stretches are in the upper reaches near the east fork but that could all be guess work. I'm going to try and get back out there later this spring to check it out. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
dp820,

I don't want to fish it on the reservation. Is fishing better on the reservation?
If you want to avoid fishing the Black River on the WMA or SCA reservations, you could always fish the West Fork of the Black. The WF of the Black is on Forest Service land and runs along Trail #629 (the Thompson Trail). Even if you don't get into any trout (and I think this section of the Black is home to both Apache Trout and Brown Trout), the trail is one of the prettiest hikes in the White Mountains. It's about 6-7 miles out and back and the stream runs along the trail at all times.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:45 AM

Unfortunately all the past books written on AZ fishing are not all that accurate anymore especially for the White Mountains area moving waters. This is due largely in part to the Wallow Fire and the prolonged drought. A lot has changed in Arizona since many of these books were published and continues to change quickly. For instance, the big fire last summer on the Pinaleno's wiped out quite a few populations as well.

As mentioned, the recovery is well under way in many of the creeks and populations are rebounding but it will take a lot of time for the food base, populations and habitat to recover fully.