Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Founding Member.

Damn, you are ugly. When we going to go fishing again?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Nice job Seldom...gotta love the Ferry.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Random Guy

Seldom,
Very nice fish, indeed.
Well done - TBone
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Great hindsight

Thanks Terry for the great post! Thanks for taking the time to write it and share your insights with us.

I'm hoping to get up there this weekend for my third trip to the ferry!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM

I remember hitting the Ferry with Dylan & Jim (then at 4J's fly shop) in Scottsdale and getting into huge fish at the Ferry. Like anywhere it's knowing where to fish and with what. I not only caught bats but 23" plus fish on full sinking lines with a minors rig on my head then plucking 16"-17" bows on dries with a 3 at sundown. 40 fish days? **** yes...

Senore Juan has a more relaxed feel as the gentle flows glide down like an oyster shooter. The Ferry? combines the best of both worlds from 18k cfs's to gentle eddy's but her power is unmistakable scented with her sweet lines...

The scenery, the journey, and the technical fishing made me want to do all nighters and burners up there strung out on my famous Kowboy Koffee.

Both rivers have pros and cons but navigating upriver on AAA batteries and the love of sweet Jesus in my pretty blue eyes made it worth it. Who cares how long it takes to find scales as the journey is worth much more at the end of the day.

Last edited by Chef; 03-08-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 AM

I have fished the ferry a number of times in the last 2 years, as long as the buddy has his boat . We have always ringed in good fish, and even surprising brought in some fish in cicadas early before cicada season (opps should i say that). The fish in my picture was not the biggest but perhaps one of the most memorable, 3-4 foot flips, incredible. The fish here are healthy and strong. I am by no means anywhere close to good at fly fishing and the double rigs are just now being able to be cast. the ferry has humbled me as a fisherman and taught me valuable lessons. Being spoiled on alaskan rainbows (this is a joke by the way, these rich, bought fish are easy to catch and lame, no challenge just cash money, i never had to pay i worked haha.) The ferry offers some of the most amazing and memorable fishing ever, it takes good casting, good leaders, good everything however the reward is deep and immense. I will be there multiple times over the summer, look for the red-head and Asian rockin duck. I hate to say this but some people have forgotten river etiquette, so keep this in mind. The ferry is the most magical and beautiful place on earth so treat it this way!!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Send a message via AIM to mikeyboyaz
Speaking of fishing the Ferry, I am debating going up this Friday night to the walk in, to fish Saturday; anyone interested?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 AM

I have to say Lees Ferry is a spectacular place to fish. I was there last week with Flyinfisher and had a great time. I definitely want to go back there again. I didn't care what size of fish I was catching, and they were one of the most fun fish to catch.
Thanks Terry for the insight of Lees Ferry. It's great to learn how a fishery got started and what it may become or not.

Last edited by jetlee; 04-25-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Chef... it was just confirmed to me that you are "Chef" from a previous website I used to follow. Good times... from an old fan.

Incredible fish Seldom - just the thought of a fish like that would make me go just about anywhere. I've gotta go to the Ferry some day...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Btw, incredible post Terry. AZ Highways had an recent article where they show the Zion National Park fire crew control burning tamarisk trees... thanks again for the great post.