Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Roper Lake?

I will be staying in Tucson another weekend to work OT (working Sun) but will have Sat to do some fishing. I worked last Sun as well but on Sat I went down to Pena Blanca Lk. but there was not a fish to be seen, even though it had supposibly been stocked a week or 2 ago. So I think I will try
a lake I have never been to, and that is Roper Lake which is to be stocked this week. I wish I had either my float tube or pontoon with me here in Tucson, but I do not so will have to fish from lakeside. I was wondering if anyone is knowledgable about Roper Lake?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Have you tried Rose Canyon? My favorite time of year to hit it but can't make the hike with my busted ankle.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM

The Nov 13 AZGFD weekly report had an angler report of a great day on Roper Lake, fishing from the dock -- sounded almost too good to be true. Haven't been there yet, so I don't know if the dock is crowded with bait fishers or if there's some elbow room for fly casting.

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/Fish...-13-2014.shtml
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM
OLD FART

Got waders ?
Fish the shoreline for Bass....big Bass.
Recommended by friends in the area.
Wish I was there instead of here dodging rain drops.
Can't wait for February.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheBlue View Post
Have you tried Rose Canyon? My favorite time of year to hit it but can't make the hike with my busted ankle.
No I haven't been up to Rose Canyon for sometime. I know they have not stocked it in a few months. So would it be Gr browns I'd be fishing for if I went there?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
No I haven't been up to Rose Canyon for sometime. I know they have not stocked it in a few months. So would it be Gr browns I'd be fishing for if I went there?
Should still be plenty of Bows, very active due to the light pressure and temps dropping. There's a bunch of small Browns (4-8") also but did manage one at 17" and fat last year. Gate is closed so you have to park on the top and walk the mostly paved road down to the lake, maybe a mile or more. Or take another route through the cabin roads to park closer but steep climb down/up a mountain trail. Roll cast is essential here as trees are always behind you. Bushy Caddis and small dropper (CJ's, scuds, ZM's) usually will do the trick.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM

When you said Rose Lake, my immediate thought was the lake down by Ft. Huachuca, what's the name of that one? I remember now that Rose Lake is the one close to Tucson, right? Can you get into that one by Ft. H?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
When you said Rose Lake, my immediate thought was the lake down by Ft. Huachuca, what's the name of that one? I remember now that Rose Lake is the one close to Tucson, right? Can you get into that one by Ft. H?
Rose Canyon Lake is up on Mt Lemmon; it is a very small lake, NO float-tubes, canoes, boats or kayaks allowed.