Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2009 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Total Juan Noob!

So what should I know? What should I bring? I'm like a total San Juan baby here. I got rods and lots of midges. 5mm neoprene waders. What else? Should I get a net? long handle or short handle? What about regs? Can I fish a dropper?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Big net. Can fish Dropper. Keep trout over 20 inches have to leave right now quality waters. Go fish Cottonwood stretch of river. Waders good.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Be ready for very chilly mornings. Dress warm. A good pair of fishing gloves are wise to have.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Don't forget the wool socks! I even wear them in the summer. If I'm wading in the winter, I usually wear my inflatable PFD. Those half finger gloves with the foldover mitten do a pretty good job for me. Bring some big flies as well - worms, leeches, eggs. I picked up a long handle rubber net at Sportsmans for about 25 bucks or so. That extra 2 feet of handle has saved me more than once. I won't be bringing any Crown Royal Special Reserve this year. Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 proof! That'll knock the chill off...and probably melt ice as well

Phil
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the input I mainly want the pack for the lumbar and the weight distribution.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Don't forget the wool socks! I even wear them in the summer. If I'm wading in the winter, I usually wear my inflatable PFD. Those half finger gloves with the foldover mitten do a pretty good job for me. Bring some big flies as well - worms, leeches, eggs. I picked up a long handle rubber net at Sportsmans for about 25 bucks or so. That extra 2 feet of handle has saved me more than once. I won't be bringing any Crown Royal Special Reserve this year. Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 proof! That'll knock the chill off...and probably melt ice as well

Phil
I just got a new medium sized travel Measure Net for Xmas which is totaly better than my wooden one with old string type netting. It doesn't have a long handle but I got a magnet-release and tether for it so hope to get to use it for first time. Also I only have the Hodgman's breathable waders, but can wear woolies or long-johns underneath pants to insulate me I suppose. I also got a pair of the Fold-over-finger mitten gloves (fleece) too.

With staying at Abe's do they have a kitchenet? And you gotta take your own cooking stuff and food right? I think I heard something about the resturant there is closed till May?

Last edited by Tying2Fly; 01-05-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Jonesing for the Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
I just got a new medium sized travel Measure Net for Xmas which is totaly better than my wooden one with old string type netting. It doesn't have a long handle but I got a magnet-release and tether for it so hope to get to use it for first time. With staying at Abe's do they have a kitchenet? And you gotta take your own cooking stuff and food right? I think I heard something about the resturant there is closed till May?
Actually Abe's has cooking utensils. You can check them out from the shop. The shop also has a convenience store, but you are going to want to bring food with you.

The Kitchenette are a stove. I hear they all have microwaves now, but not certain. If you are in the older cabins good luck with cooking.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Trout Bum In Training

juan wormsssssss
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM

Studs for the wading boots!! There are some really slippery snot rocks ...taking a dip the first thing in the morning in 20 degree weather is not the way to start out the day.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

oh my word.