Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 PM

I have the Orvis sink tips. They seem to work well. 2 different sink rates with the lil kit.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:07 PM

You don't nessecarily need to get down to get to bass this time of year. I learned pretty quickly that tapered leaders are not meant for bass fishing. I usually just use 7-11 feet of 8# flouro if I am fishing leeches, and mono if I am fishing topwater. As for flies, weedguards are pretty much ineffective from my experience. Your best stillwater flies are going to be leeches, and baitfish patterns. I rarely take my 8wt. out to specifically target bass.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM

five weights are where its at
especially in arizona where you dont have alot of weeds and stuff to keep fish out of.

"Flyfisherman are willing to work hard at anything that isn't important"
John Geirach
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharri View Post
5 wt is more than enough my friend! Chuck n' duck!
ROFL Ducking is what I was doing today with my Clouser's. So heavy I was winging them right by my ear!

Thanks for the responses. I went and bought some smaller flies for my bass excursion tomorrow morning. Going to go for it and see how successful I will be using your tips.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Angle the rod tip off 90 degrees out more 70 60 degrees when casting to save that knock out blow to the back of your head. Better yet the trip to the ER to remove a 2/0 hook from your flesh.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 PM

I would fit clousers in the small/light category for streamers, they are nothing compared to something with a few rabbit strips and and weight (cone or barbel eyes and maybe even some lead).
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
The clousers I have are barbell clousers! Those are specifically the flies I am struggling casting. HAHAHA
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdutchman View Post
you should have no problems casting clousers on a 5wt. do it all the time. the bigger the fly the harder it is to turn over.. but you can still get it done.

wing em!
Like the dutchman says ...it ain't going to be pretty but you can throw them!

I've caught up to 5lb bass before on my 5wt here in Texas throwing (or chunking) big clousers, bullet head zonkers and rabbit strips.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Maybe pass up the 2/0 and larger flies - 4,6,8 are good sizes, even 10 or 12 sometimes can be thrown on a 5 wt. Zonker (rabbit) strips soak up water and are hard to cast, but hard to beat for that undulating action.

There is an advantage to smaller hooks with bass: you don't have to set the hook as hard as you might with bigger flies and hooks to hold. Bass, especially the big ones, have hard mouths - as you may have already found.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM

I like fishing bass with a 5wt for the fight but it is impossible to throw the big bugs with a 5wt. You also need some backbone to rip them through the milfoil and out of the reeds. If you don't want to sink a few hundred dollars into a beginner 8wt rig. I hate to send you to Walmart but they sell a complete 8wt scientific Angler bass set up ready to fish for 99 bucks, That was my first 8 wt and it worked extremely well for me. Or you can get a Redington crosswater for 100 bucks from Dry Creek, that's a good rod but you also need all the rest of the stuff. I have 2 of those rods. I also have an Orvis silver series im selling for 80 bucks right now but it's also just the rod. As far as leaders, I cut the last two feet off a 2x and tie 20lb trilene to it, On the grass mats your leader doesn't have to be very long and the frog will turn over better.