Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Flying Monkey

Memorial Day at Saggy

I fished Friday and got a few decent fish but, nothing amazing except for a 12" gill that made my day. The holiday kept me away from the lake Saturday and Sunday but, I couldn't wait another day to try some flies I tied up.
In the first hour after sunup, I saw several random fish jumps but, no real pattern or serious shad busting. I could not get anything except gills.
I moved to a favorite cove and switched to my latest blended Diamond Hair and streamer hair Clouser and it was on. Fish after fish. I landed over a dozen bass with several large enough to make Johnny Johnson do his crazy laugh.
Then I switched to a copy of the Bass SSL with sili legs trailing a purple/black SSL tied on a size 12 hook. Bluegills loved it. Then, I felt a slow tug and leaned back into a beast. Line was pulled through my fingers bit by bit until it was taking line off the reel and getting into the weeds. I was pulling as hard as I could as I assumed the fish was on my 2X leader. I never dreamed the fish took my tiny trailer on a 5X flouro tippet.

Last edited by toddthefrog; 05-30-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: My dog made me do it. I made a mistake on the gill size.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Founding Member

Good job, Todd

Nice job Todd....Fish are healthy, huh? How big do you estimate? I hit Canyon Wednesday. Pretty slow but I lost the biggest bass I've ever had on. He hit a DHS Shad as it was dropping next to a boulder and ran like a steelhead. I never had any control and after a brief two minute struggle he broke me off on a big rock. I was using 13 lb test. Going to 15 from now on. One like that is what makes you keep on bass fishing.

Good job

dub
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Flying Monkey

I'll bet the biggest was over 16" based on my rod and lighter scale index guesstimator.
All fish were robust and a few had abrasions which I assume are from digging. Seems like they're spawning again????
3 bass were big enough to make me grab a camera.
Several caught by sight fishing in the shallows. They seem to be cruising around the edges of the beds.
It was a great day.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Founding Member

abrasions

Todd...the bass seem to get the abrasions when the water temps warm. I assume it is some kind of mild fungus disorder that can get them pretty ugly summertime. I'm told they recover. Time to hit the trout then anyway. Anytime it burns my *** to sit on my seat...I'm outta there.

dub
Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Nice report todd
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Nice fish Todd!