Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

"Fire at Greer Lodge Resort was arson" says the AP

from the Associated Press.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-atf-abrk.html

http://ktar.com/category/local-news-...ort-was-arson/

and others are reporting...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Neophyte

This doesn't really surprise me. I had heard there were some ill feelings towards the owner of Greer Lodge because of all the properties he had bought up. Some of the looong time residents resented the commercial image his holdings projected. I don't know that it was a deserved opinion, and I certainly don't think it warranted arson though.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

I stayed at the lodge back in 2002 and even had a family member that was working there at the time. I remember talking to Doug back then and he said he had plans to turn the area in to a mini Aspen or Vail. I don't think a lot of people in the area liked that idea. This definitely does not warrant lighting the place on fire though. From news reports it sounds like they have a pretty good idea who did it.

Over the past few years he has built dozens of new cabins and where I once saw bull elk eating years back there is now a sand volleyball court. I was pretty disappointed to see the changes when I visited this year. Definitely not as rustic as it once was.

If you have children it looks like a fun place to take them though.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM

I doubt it was one of the Greer old timers. Places and owners like the Greer Lodge owner come and go. I would look to the one who file chapter 9 a few months back.