Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Flagstaff Area Lakes (southeast)

Three weeks ago, I planned a trip to fish some of the lakes southeast of Flagstaff - the Mary Lakes and others. It was disappointing because the four lakes I visited had water that looked like chocolate milk. I can put up with the wind but I prefer clear water. The only lake with clear good looking water was Cow Lake, which is about .5 miles from Kinnicknick and which does not have fish.

In the most recent fishing report from AZG&F, there are two photos of anglers in two of these lakes. The lakes are in the background and appear to be clearer but it's hard to tell because of the angle at which the photos were taken.

Has anyone been to, Ashurst, Kinnicknick, Long, the Mary Lakes or any of the of the other lakes in this area that can give me a report on water clarity?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

We had good runoff this spring which raised the water levels in all the lakes and reservoirs in the high country around Flagstaff. Rising water levels combined with spring winds create wave action that whip previously dry and exposed sediments into suspension creating high turbidity in the water column. Looks like chocolate milk but it is really fine clays and other particulates is suspension.

I've seen some of these lakes clear up as summer progresses. It appears new aquatic vegetation does tend to grow and help clear the water. Fencing projects, like the one at Ashurst, help stabilize the shoreline by eliminating grazing which helps maintain vegetation that reduces the spring wind effect.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:07 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
The Anderson Mesa lakes almost never clear. I don't know the geology of it, but there seems to be a type of clay that clouds them up.

I almost never fish them because of this. I hate chocolate milk.

If you want to fish clear still waters try the tanks South of Williams.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Fly Chef,

After my disappointing trip to S.E. Flagstaff, I did some research on Google Earth to see if the tanks and lakes south of Williams are also like chocolate milk. I talked to a fish biologist with AZ Game and Fish who gave me the name of one of the tanks that is hot for trout. I don't recall the name. So I found it on Google Earth. It's chocolate milk.

To fish or not to fish?
What a stupid question.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:41 PM
trout lovin' chef

The tanks are not chocolate milk, I was there last weekend.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Fly Chef,

Well, that's good news. May I ask where you were? Of course, the satellite photos in Google earth probably don't reflect current conditions.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:09 PM
trout lovin' chef

There are 4 tanks, all fish well.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Fly Chef,

Tanks a lot. My next trip may be to south of Williams. Can you give me an idea of acreage on these tanks. They look small which is ok with me.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

sheesh
Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blur View Post
sheesh
Classic post from this guy.