Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Dead Horse

Next week, I'm exploring Dead Horse and some other locations east of I-17. I'm reading about the lagoons at Dead Horse. Does anyone have advice for me about fishing the lagoons for trout? Thank you.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Always Improving

On Lagoon #3, there is an island on the left side of the pond. Trout will travel clockwise from the boat ramp / dock through the channel, hugging the bank. My experience is the fishies will travel roughly to the end of the island, then turn back towards the dock, hugging the island side of the channel. There is a nice drop off in the channel on both sides, so focus your attention to these drop off areas.

On the southwest side of the lake, there is an inflow from the East Verde or Lagoon #2, not sure which. Lots of trout and other species will congregate in this area, especially close to the catttails. Again, a clockwise cyclic pattern from the inflow to the end of the cove, then back towards the southside bank and continuing to the inflow is where you'll find your targets.

I didn't fish the main body that much, so I can't offer any valid input.

You'll have no issue putting your pontoon into the lake, as a nice boat ramp is available to you.

I've been fishing mainly SSL in various colors the past few years, and they are highly effective patterns to use (Thanks, Dub!), mainly in size #14.

Don't forget that the entry gate closes around 5pm, so you'll need to be off the water well before then. Otherwise, Staff will come looking for you. Don't ask me how I know!

Tight lines.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 AM

cookie cutter little stockers.....some good bass in warmer days
Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM

David, the Dead Horse site indicates closing time is 2200. What up?

Pfeffness, cookie cutter stockers are ok with me.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Sometimes it's just about trying to catch a fish. And that's a good day.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
David, the Dead Horse site indicates closing time is 2200. What up?
New hours, perhaps? Unless the hours denote when the areas other than the lagoons are accessible. I'm not entirely certain, as I've only fished there a few times last summer and not sure where the other park amenities are located.

I do know that a gate with direct access to the ponds is locked at the end of business hours.

Perhaps a little scooter ride from Payson to Cornville is in order to find out...besides, a fishing buddy in Strawberry has turned me onto a great pizzeria in Camp Verde with THE very best white pizza known to modern man!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david vaughn View Post
New hours, perhaps? Unless the hours denote when the areas other than the lagoons are accessible. I'm not entirely certain, as I've only fished there a few times last summer and not sure where the other park amenities are located.

I do know that a gate with direct access to the ponds is locked at the end of business hours.

Perhaps a little scooter ride from Payson to Cornville is in order to find out...besides, a fishing buddy in Strawberry has turned me onto a great pizzeria in Camp Verde with THE very best white pizza known to modern man!
David, is that pizza place called Bocce? If not you should give Bocce try also. Itís in old town Cottonwood. Excellent pizza!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
David, is that pizza place called Bocce? If not you should give Bocce try also. Itís in old town Cottonwood. Excellent pizza!
Sorry, no it is not Bocce. Reckon we'll need to make a side trip after we leave Dead Horse in the near future. Thanks for the recommend!

The pizza joint I was referring to is Crusty's Pizza in Camp Verde on Finnie Flat Road. VERY popular restaurant.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM

David,

if I have cell service at Dead Horse, I will send a text about closing. And I promise I will never ask how you know about closing time. Maybe that's an interesting little story you will share with members, some day.

Jim

Stoneflynut, Badda Bing, Badda Boom.