Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 AM

First Apache Trout

I love fishing pocket water using the high stickn', short line nymphing method. I caught my first Apache trout in the Black River where road 25 meets the river below the bridge. It was about 13" in length. I would have been satisfied with a four inch Apache. I can cross this off my bucket list.

Before this fish, I caught two four inch browns then three seven inch browns. The Apache was the sixth fish. I hooked but quickly lost what looked like two more Apaches of about nine inches. All were caught on my version of a gold ribbed hare's ear, size 16. My version doesn't have ribbing.

Is there another place to access the main stem of the Black as easily as the one on road 25? At this point, I want to concentrate on the main stem and not the forks.

On my way to the bridge, I saw a small bear and on my way out, I saw another larger bear.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Congratulations, Jim, on your first Apache trout...that's the way to catch them, in the streams.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:05 PM

wild cat crossing
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 PM

pfeffness, thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Bucksnort,

Not to be the Debbie Downer here, but we don't have any pure Apache Trout in the main stem Black River. There is a very healthy population of Apache x Rainbow hybrids. In order to catch pure Apache Trout, you basically have to go upstream of fish barriers. All other populations have been hybridized with Rainbow Trout. That being said, the Apache x Rainbow hybrids are great fish to catch. They pull hard and have a range of morphological differences; from looking very similar to Apache Trout to a pure Rainbow and everything in between.

Wildcat Crossing (25 Road) is by far the easiest way into the Black River.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeffness View Post
wild cat crossing
Was there with a buddy last Sat. Hiked up a little past Fish Creek. Verrrrry slow....caught only a few 8" rainbows. Maybe had to do with the weather front that rolled in that evening?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Bucksnort,

If you have a picture of the AT we can easily ID it here. If it was a hatchery AT than it is pure AT.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Bucksnort,

If you have a picture of the AT we can easily ID it here. If it was a hatchery AT than it is pure AT.
You’re right Joe. I was thinking a wild individual. Especially considering the nearest place the Department stocks Apache Trout in the Black River system is at Buffalo Crossing on the East Fork, some 10+ miles upstream. I suppose it is possible that a stocked fish moved all the way down there, but not likely.

The hybridization in the Black River makes it near impossible to ID an Apache as pure. With different levels of hybridization/backcrossing to more or less hybridized fish makes things even more confusing.

But I’m certainly interested in pictures. I love the variation of the hybrids in the Black.

Last edited by bgiordano; 10-16-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Well then, I can scratch a hybrid AT and Rainbow from my bucket list.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
Well then, I can scratch a hybrid AT and Rainbow from my bucket list.

Yessir! They’re super cool. I love the Black. Keep going!

Just didn’t want the wrong information out there.