Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Building a Boat for the High Mountain Lakes

I have some physical restrictions which will require me to minimize the risk of falling for most of the next year. Not that I am into falling to begin with, but some of my favorite fishing spots often have slippery footing, so a little refactoring is warranted.

I have a very nice inflatable pontoon which I will continue to use, but find myself wanting a little more for places like Big Lake where I fish frequently as a matter of convenience.

Of specific concern is the outboard motor. At best, places like Big Lake allow up to a 10 hp. A little research shows most of the 9.9 motors are made by Tohatsu then re-badged and all brands which are locally supported are carbureted. These do not seem well-suited for 7-9000' of elevation. I am hoping someone will have some comments on this.

I also welcome any comments on which features you would like if you were building a boat for fly-fishing our high elevation lakes.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

The boats they rent up there have gas engines and they are more then enough. I have always fished up there with an electric trolling motor. Only time I have had any issues was when a summer thunderstorm suddenly hit.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchar85719 View Post
The boats they rent up there have gas engines and they are more then enough. I have always fished up there with an electric trolling motor. Only time I have had any issues was when a summer thunderstorm suddenly hit.
Thanks for the feedback on the rentals. That is good to know. IIRC they even have 8hp on a lot of those. I am wondering if they are old two-strokes as well. It would probably be wise to ask the Law's for feedback on the outboards they run up there.

And I know what you are talking about when the wind kicks up! I remember once being so sore after being blown across South Cove with only oar power. lol
Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 PM

I run a carbed, 4stoke, 9.9 tohatsu on big lake. Runs a tad rich but just fine.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I run a carbed, 4stoke, 9.9 tohatsu on big lake. Runs a tad rich but just fine.
Great. Do you have it locally tuned/serviced there in Silver?

Looks like Tohatsu has an EFI 9.9 now too.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM

Not much to service, oil change and plugs. Tuned as it came out of the box. Use it as a kicker for my 22' deck at 4500' elev and 14' v hull around the White Mtns. Has performed great.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Thanks, guess I am honed in on the engine due to the high relative cost and knowing how the chain saws need to be tuned differently down the hill vs. up.

Anyway, I am hoping someone will have some comments on electronics etc. I am guessing some with the bigger bass boats might have more knowledge.

Looks like trolling motors have come a long way too. Anyone with experience is those which hold a boat in place as a virtual anchor, or those that follow a specific depth?

I have had a 12 ft. row boat in past. It was not quite large enough and really uncomfortable. So better seats are a priority.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM

I should also add that I plan to have 3 modes of propulsion, gas motor, electric motor, and oar power.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Always Improving

I was at Cabela's a few days ago when I passed by a Lowe 14'7" V-hull on a trailer but no trailer. It was sitting in front of the store near the yaks. The clearance price was listed as $1500, including the trailer. An unbelievable price for what looks like a fun little mountain lake boat. 3 seats plus a corner pillion in the bow.

You may want to take a look at this rig...

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 03-17-2018, 09:16 PM

get the electric start and it will charge your battery. Don't know if the elec motors you speak of come in 12v. Sounds a bit excessive for mountain lakes but would be cool. More is always better. Don't forget the sonar!