Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Stocking Ferry Walk In

https://www.azgfd.com/azgfd-to-hold-...rout-stocking/

I am so against this idea. I would prefer to hook fewer Trout and know they are Wild. I have fished this stretch hundreds of times over the years, and only been checked on the road once for a license and twice by creel census takers.

Although I have only witnessed it a coupla times, I would guess by the amount of worm and Power Bait containers along with beer cans that always litter this area that there are more than a few who aren't following the regulations here.

Rather than stocking, how about increased enforcement to protect the precious Wild Rainbows?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

We've been down this road before, but stupid is as stupid does. A well-known outfitter on the Ferry once told me in confidence that the Department's previous stocking attempt, which was widely supported, had polluted the distinct Lees Ferry rainbow trout strain and was a huge mistake.

So whats changed, AGFD? Have you id'd a new strain that will out-perform those from previous failed attempts? What is this new miracle strain and why do you expect great things from this new strain? Are there studies that support how dumping this new strain in the system will improve the overall performance of the existing gene pool? Or will the stocked fish be triploids? Maybe I missed that because logically if you want big fish, well....triploids?