Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM

The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway

Well I've been sick for about a week now so I've been spending a good amount of time hanging out on the couch.

Anyhow, in scanning through the Amazon prime TV shows I came across a program called " The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway". It's a documentary narrated by Tom Skerritt about many of the blue ribbon fly fishing rivers along Highway 20. That would be a dream road trip! I'm sure a bunch of you guys have been to these very spots. It was a pretty good show so I thought I would pass it along since there doesn't seem to be too many fly fishing related programs out there.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:22 AM

I saw that not too long ago as well and thought the same thing, that's a fly fisher's dream road trip right there! I'll definitely get up there someday but I only recently discovered southern Colorado and it has me hooked so I haven't felt a desire to go much further yet. Another good fly fishing related program on prime is Cast Alaska, I've probably watched it a half dozen times. I love how they keep consistently pulling out fat 20"+ rainbows and act like it's no big deal, that would be the catch of a lifetime for me. It's definitely got me intrigued about the Alaska trip the guys on here recently offered.

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM

Thanks! I will have to check out Cast Alaska. Seems anymore the closest I can get to fly fishing is thinking about it..
Old 09-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Simon get well. Its almost the season to fish.....
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
Simon get well. Its almost the season to fish.....
Thanks Jim! I feel the change in the air (probably why I got sick) and I definitely need to make a few day trips up to the rim in the next couple of months. I even bought a brand new 4runner earlier this year as my new fishing rig... i've been four wheeling in it once and it did amazing. I really want it to take me to some fishing spots though...
Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Never heard of the video or that stretch of highway before reading these post so I googled it and watched it and it is obviously a line slinger's heaven. If I survive my New Zealand trip in Feb., I may just spend a lot of next summer fishing those awesome rivers and enjoying that incredible scenery. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Love Toyotas.
My FJ has 216,000 miles so far.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:33 PM

I fished a smaller river a month ago just below where they were fishing in Idaho. It's no joke, 20" fish were the average and it was one after the other. I was probably 50 yards from the main road too. The camp host told me he had been hosting up there every summer for over 10 years and if you can't catch a 20" fish right from the road, most people around there wont put in the time.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:56 PM

Litespeed,

I have a 2012 FJ with 28,000 miles in army green and with a manual transmission. The manual tranny and color were a must. It took the dealership several months to locate this combination. We are a Toyota family.

Have you had any problems with your FJ? The only problem I've had with mine is I can't seem to get the loose nut holding the wheel tightened.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 09-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Pete that fish is a slab! Awesome!