Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Flying Monkey

Saguaro bass only eat in bed

I saw lots of bass today and unless they were sitting on a bed, they wouldn't bite a thing. I tried a lot of flies and stealthy casts and nobody was biting.
Fish are still on beds and a few of them were so hot, they hit my fly on the first drop. My hookup to bite ratio was abysmal. I did get four decent bass and lost the biggest one when she broke the surface with a big head shake.
So weird to watch a fish suck up the fly, set the hook and see the fly just pull out of the mouth... Could be the big headed sculpin head fly.... I sharpened the hook a few times so, that wasn't the issue.
I had three that I hook set, they pulled hard on the fly for a second and just let it go...... Maybe I need a different hook... Larger maybe. Less flexible maybe.....
Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM

Hook flex problem

I remember watching Leroy Hyatt talking about hook set problems and switching to a fly that was shorter with less flex and producing more hook sets than with the longer shanked hook.

I would make that change and see if things improve.

Good problem to have.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Flying Monkey

I like that thought. There probably needs to be more space between the sculpin head and the hook point.... There's also a bunch of rabbit strip hanging off the back which leads to short bites sometimes....
Not much springtime left but, I'll get working on it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Flying Monkey

It's also interesting that there are huge balls of bass fry and still no BLewgills.
Carp are cruising beds too. I had my bow in a locker and very time I stopped fishing to get the bow, the carp would be gone..... They're very perceptive.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Flying Monkey

And another thing; how the heck are we supposed to get a fly into those grottos in the reeds?
I see the biggest bass bedded just under the reed mat and I can't drop a fly through the plants to get into the little cave. I've seen the conventional guys use punch baits. I need to tie up something like a wrecking ball fly so I can swing it up high and have it crash through the reeds. I love Miley Cyrus.
Yesterday after repeated attempts to lure a big Betty out of bed, I had a destructive idea. I backed up about ten yards and just waited for the wind to push me into the reeds. I thought the boat might push some of the stuff out of the way. The wind did push me pretty hard into the reeds but when I backed up, the reeds just backed up with me leaving me with the same view into the cave I can't get into.
Any thoughts on punch bait fishing with fly rods?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Flying Monkey

And the coot's nests are FULL of Easter eggs.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Founding Member

rods

Todd....remember the big girl I was fishing to a couple seasons ago. She finally grabbed and then the hook set failed? I have gone to the Peacock Sage bass rod for setting on the big fish. Their mouths are exceptionally hard and you really have to give them the Jimmy Houston tug to get your hook to penetrate. I think it probably would be better to even go barbless for easier penetration. Also they get more leverage with a flies with heavier heads with longer shanks and can throw them easier with a good head shake. I have fooled around with punch bait flies flies but have not figured out a good way to protect the hook point...yet. It is really an intriguing and fun thing to figure out these bass and all their different nuances they present. Keep on keeping on, my good man. I still can't understand why tournament bass fishing with a fly rod didn't take off. It would be a blast

dub
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Flying Monkey

Thanks W. That's short for Dub.
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to work on a punch bait sort of deal. Probably drop shot style with the bait above the weight.
Regarding fly bass contests, I would enjoy that if it didn't cost a fortune. It would be super fun to have them on small lakes like willow springs so we can harass each other while fishing.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Founding Member

Yes, I agree, Todd. No money involved. It changes everything. We had several a few years back in preparation for the Pleasant bass tourney and they were fun....a lot more fun than the tourney itself. We had probably 20-25 people attend the Rosey and Willow Springs outings....bbq, bs...fun. Nice part about flyrodders is we can take a pic and put them right back. With the amount of pressure on it and future tourneys they plan on Sag...it's really gonna hurt it...I think. Taking fish off the beds HAS to have some effect on the future of the lake.

dub
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Flying Monkey

Are there liabilities to worry about or can we just post an informal contest and see who's in?
I would be in for sure. Even for a trout derby type deal.

Tags
saguaro hookset handicap