Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 09:33 PM

Flyfishermen Should Read

The title is a quote from one of the authors in maybe the best anthology of fly fishing stories out there: "Silent Seasons," by Russell Chatham. I bought it for $6, kind of a lot for a paperback at my local Friends of the Library sale.

Perhaps I should not go on talking too much about the book before I consume it in its entirety...but it has been such a pleasure, I don't want it to end, somehow.

The strong points of the collection, aside from the essays, stories themselves, are Chatham's introductions of his colleagues and friends...then their descriptions of their work, what led them to write.

7 authors, 21 stories on flyfishing, compiled by a painter of note, and quite a good writer himself, Chatham's work is on the cover of the paperback version of "A River Runs Through It," so we might recognize his style.

The exploits of McGuane, Harrison, Valdene and Chatham....gastronomic, fishing, hunting, writing, drinking..are the stuff of legends, producing a cult , now on dvd, video, "Tarpon," that Valdene produced. 60's author Richard Brautigan was also featured in the video, filmed in Key West in 1973.

The authors in this anthology represent the finest in angling literature: Thomas McGuane, William Hjortsberg, Jack Curtis, Harmon Henkin, Charles Waterman, Jim Harrison and Russell Chatham himself.

Of course, anglers don't need to read...but if you do, this is highly recommended. I think we can relate, on some level as fishermen, to these stories.

Last edited by aztightlines; 10-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:31 PM

pfeffness

another wonderful book is McGuane's "Silent Seasons" ,essays his life in fly fishing.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 PM

I believe the title is, "The Longest Silence,"....but I agree. That is one of my favorite books, in any genre
Old 11-09-2018, 12:31 AM

Thank you for the recommendation! A good book can be valuable beyond measure!