Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 07:47 AM

White Mountain Lakes

All,

I am still finding my way around Arizona fly fishing and I'm not doing well. Last year, I went to the White Mountains for two trips. I didn't catch anything because I made the mistake of going there, on one trip, during the monsoon.

I'm planning two more trips for this year. One will be in the middle of October and the other sometime early November. I have located a handful of lakes, mostly small which is what I prefer, by way of the Sitgreaves-Apache Forest Service map and a few books to include, Rohmer, Rory Aikens and Will Jordan. I have some fishing reports for some of them so I am fairly certain I may find trout there but I need information for others.

Is there someone who has a lot of knowledge about the White Mountains who is willing to contact me by way of a PM to help me with this?

I know about Big Lake, the Greer lakes, Carnero, Becker, Crescent, Lee Valley and some others so I'm not interested in those; however, I will wet a line in some of them.

Thank you.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 10-02-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 PM

I am confused...

You know about many of the most productive lakes in the WM area, but you don't want to fish them? Do you use a float tube or pontoon boat?

If so, 1. go to Carnero. 2. Go through the sheep dip of getting on the water. 3. Cast in any direction with a hares ear or pheasant tail on a dry line and strip it back.

With any luck, 10-25 rainbows & tigers (12-18") to hand in a short day. Worked all summer long, up to last week, for me. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyons View Post
You know about many of the most productive lakes in the WM area, but you don't want to fish them? Do you use a float tube or pontoon boat?

If so, 1. go to Carnero. 2. Go through the sheep dip of getting on the water. 3. Cast in any direction with a hares ear or pheasant tail on a dry line and strip it back.

With any luck, 10-25 rainbows & tigers (12-18") to hand in a short day. Worked all summer long, up to last week, for me. Good luck!
Heading to the Whites tomorrow and had plan to skip Canero...was'nt there a fish-kill earlier this year?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:25 PM

There aren't really any secret lakes up here. Like Mike said, you have listed the most productive waters up here for trout fishing. They all have quality trout and Carnero, Becker, and Big can produce some big ones.

As far as the lake fishing in the White Mountains goes, it is best in the spring.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:58 PM

All,

A member responded and gave me the information I need. I intend to fish the big lakes too. Crescent, Becker and Big Lake and Carnero are on my list. I have a pontoon boat.

I'm in the exploratory phase of my Arizona fly fishing. Asking questions like this is a good way to learn. The problem is, at my age, I don't have a lot of time for exploration so I'm trying to zero in on a few, "go to" lakes and or streams.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM

thats because the fish are concentrated in the low pool of water remaining. Really,no challenge,and the lake should be left alone till a decent winter refills it.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM

I disagree. just because you know fish are there doesn't make the challenge of catching them any less. I can fish a pool I've seen a fish in and still not get him to bite. Last I saw Carnero was low but had tons of bugs for fish to eat. if they take your fly, you're doing a good job regardless of the water levels.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
All, Crescent, Becker and Big Lake and Carnero are on my list. I have a pontoon boat.
Bucksnort, do you know which of these lakes fish best without a pontoon boat, or from shore wading? I will be in the WM this weekend for the mountain bike race, and plan to fish in between. I don't have a pontoon boat, but still hoping to get into trout.

And if you see a tall fellow, his wife, and a little Pug dog on any of the lakes or streams that's us : )
Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Big can be tough from shore but I've seen a bunch of people on facebook catching limits. Wouldn't fish Crescent at all. Carnero is crap from shore cause of how low it is and weedy. Maybe try River or Bunch in Greer if you really want a lake.

Honestly I would fish the streams right now. East or West fork Black, or the LCR.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Big can be tough from shore but I've seen a bunch of people on facebook catching limits. Wouldn't fish Crescent at all. Carnero is crap from shore cause of how low it is and weedy. Maybe try River or Bunch in Greer if you really want a lake.

Honestly I would fish the streams right now. East or West fork Black, or the LCR.
thanks lakelady, that's the plan!

we are going to do a big loop from pinetop taking 273 to 249 (three forks road), down 191 to hannagan meadow and back (with a detour at a small, picturesque lake) via 260. will hit the streams along the way, just wondered if it was worth stopping at any of the lakes along the way. sounds like the streams are the way to go.