Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM

It should move pretty quickly. The inventory takes three to four years but can be done concurrently. We are pretty much done with that and will finish inventory within 8 months. The decision on management emphasis will start in mid February with us ready to take it to the public and have the final decision by May. the final write up of the plan may take up to a year after that. If I did not have any other duties it could be done much faster.

We did this process already for lakes near Pinetop Lakeside. The management emphasis was the most critical and was done quickly, within a couple months of starting the process. The write up of the plan took maybe 18 months. However, the plan did not hold up management tasks. We were able to implement many tasks and managing the lakes in the right direction while I was writing the plan.

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of the plan to see how it works just PM me and I can email you a copy.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Another good lake would be Lee Valley.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
To shallow and to small.

CHIEF
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
tramp ala trout

Lee valley is already under special regs and I believe there is a creek that runs into Lee valley most of the time, so I am assuming that it does not kill.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Jonesing for the Salt

Just to let you all know John will be the speaker at the DFC meeting this month on Wednesday. AZ G&F will also be there discussing this. Please come if you would like to know more. Information and meeting location are on the DFC website.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Wind Knot Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Just to let you all know John will be the speaker at the DFC meeting this month on Wednesday. AZ G&F will also be there discussing this. Please come if you would like to know more. Information and meeting location are on the DFC website.
Lucky:

Sounds like you've organized a great meeting - I'll definately be there. Thanks for your hard work in putting this program together.

Just to let everyone know, I've begun filling-out the non-profit 501(c)3 paperwork to create the White Mountain Lakes Foundation (WMLF). John may include this topic as part of his presentation on Wednesday. If not, I would be happy to discuss this effort with anyone before or after the meeting.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Jonesing for the Salt

That would be great if you could talk about those efforts and how well the Henry's foundation works.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Kelly seriously I know I brought up triploids to you when I spoke with you - is that a possibility and how would they do up there? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:37 PM

We already are holding some triploids at the Canyon Creek facility.

As I mentioned earlier (I think to you), having triploid fish is not worth the cost if they are going to be harvested before they would normally become mature. The advantage of the the triploid is that they are sterile. When the fish would normally be mature they put energy that would normally go into gonads into growth.

These triploids are few in number (If I remember around 10k) these fish will be used to grow a 13 inch incentive fish for the put and take lakes and for stocking into Becker. I would have to check on their projected sizes and time of stocking. I think we just got them in so it will be awhile.

My guess is that they will be a great fish for growing incentive fish and great in any lakes where they can stay in the lake over one year (Becker).
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM

sweeeetttt! Is it going to be obvious if they are a triploid when you catch them?