Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CurboCycles
Best Southwest Metro Area for FF?

There is a chance I'll be offered, by my company, the opportunity to pick a place to move my small family of 4. I would need to live in a major metro area (within 30 minutes of a major airport) for work reasons and within a days drive of Phx and SLC for family reasons.

My first thoughts are SLC, Denver, and San Diego as the best spots. I'm pretty familiar with SLC but how good is trout fly fishing rivers and creeks in Denver and SD?

I know CO has terrific fishing but is there anything good within 45 mins drive or so from the Denver suburbs?

Where is the nearest trout river fishing from SD?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM

If you are more trout centric Denver sounds like a great place with a decent cost of living, Estes NP nearby and so on. Pretty long haul to Phoenix though.

San Diego hands down for Salt water fishing, weather, amenties and so on but it comes at a high price as the cost of living there is probably two or three times what it would be in SLC or Denver. Easy days drive to Phoenix...Salt lake, not so much.

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Denver has some great fishing within 30-45 minutes and less if you are living on the west side. I fish Boulder Creek and Clear Creek a lot as well as the St. Vrain. Those streams are 20-30 minutes or so from where I live a bit north of Denver (between Denver and Boulder). If you extend the drive time out to 1-2 hours you open up a LOT more amazing possibilities that include some world-class tailwaters as well as phenomenal small stream fishing and alpine lakes. Some of the lakes hold huge fish. Tack on a bit more drive time and in 3-5 hours you can be catching fish on world-class rivers without the crowds that are so common near the Front Range. If you have to be in a major metro area and want to fish for trout, it is really hard to beat Denver. Also, as a hub for Southwest and Frontier, you can usually find reasonably priced tickets if you are needing to fly a lot.

Here are a couple of fishing reports from within an hour or so of Denver.

Rocky Mountain National Park small stream

Another RMNP stream

Here are a few of my favorite outings on Front Range streams a bit closer to Denver.

Boulder Creek

Clear Creek

South Boulder Creek

Finally, a good winter alternative is the Arkansas River tailwater in Pueblo. While it is freezing in the mountains, it can sometimes be 60 degrees in Pueblo and with great days of catching nice trout, it's hard to beat...

If you have any specific questions about this area let me know, and I would be glad to try and answer.

The Trout Zone Blog

http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Denver has some good spots near by. I almost moved there a few years ago. Check this forum out. They will be hesitant to help you at first but once you become a regular they will welcome you and help you out.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM

I was born and raised in Denver and hesitate to recommend it to anybody who wants a nice town to live in, left there after a woman was kidnapped out of a grocery store parking lot in broad daylight. Lots of crime and liberal politicians. That said, it is close to some of the nicest places in the west, and if you figure out where you want to fish, you can live in a suburb in the direction you will be driving the most, and many of them are nice. Probably the closest good fishing is either North or West.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM

If you're after trout, you can't go wrong with Denver or SLC. I'd pick SLC because it's less crowded, lower crime and it's close to Idaho and Wyoming.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM

I met the previous mayor of Denver at the San Juan.

Before I knew who he was I gave him a few miracle midges and red annelids since that is what had been working for me.

After I found out who he was I embarrassed Rick by grilling the guy about the level of retardation in his city and insinuated that the reason he had risen to the status of mayor was that he was one of the few people in the city that knows that you can't count to the number potato.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

like az is any better.

you can smoke weed in colorado w/out getting busted. that's a big +100 to az's retarded populace and govt.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CurboCycles
Thanks Plateau Angler, you have a terrific blog. I've never been to Denver, only Durango/Telluride. It has to be one of the most beautiful places in the US.

I guess San Diego is all salt or lake fly fishing?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blur View Post
like az is any better.

you can smoke weed in colorado w/out getting busted. that's a big +100 to az's retarded populace and govt.
Lotta Libertarians in AZ, that will change.

I'm not willing to give up constitutionally enumerated freedoms just so I can smoke a doobie at an outdoor concert without getting busted.