Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2009 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Seasonal Weather for Juanuary

Average weather for mid-January on the Juan is a high in the 40's with a low around 20. That is really not bad if you are dressed appropriately.

That said, most days are not average.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 AM

I figure this year it will be snow and tons of it. You won't be able to be get to catch and release because the road is not plowed. The little hill to the Sportsman will be covered in 2 inch ice. Isn't that all you guys have left to feel on the San-Jan outing. Some of you will be hiking down to the river bridge to just wet a frozen fly line. Still to cold for me at 40 degree highes.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 AM

We had the hills by the Sportsman covered with ice already and some snow.

We have not had a major snowstorm though.

That's what Jeeps are for.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:18 PM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
I don't get it. Bighands sez all that stuff like it is a bad thing. Dealt with worse when I was 14. Still caught my limit in 30 minutes. The weather will be fine, the fish eager to hop on our flies, and the food and company will be second to none. Not to worry.

Thanks for the weather report, Mike. Good info, especially for the fair-weather fisherpeoples. Brrrr!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:52 PM
aka twelvepoundlunker

I think I fell twice on the ice by the sportman last year. It didn't hurt much
Old 11-01-2008, 11:39 PM

No, you only fell once, and the second time you were just thinking of getting up. Then decided to just stay down. You just thought you fell down a second time. Yea, don't miss the steps oooofff the southwest corner of the porch. That is worse than ice.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighand View Post
No, you only fell once, and the second time you were just thinking of getting up. Then decided to just stay down. You just thought you fell down a second time. Yea, don't miss the steps oooofff the southwest corner of the porch. That is worse than ice.
You guys are not giving me very good vibes (or is it the shivers!) on a first time newbe to the Juanuary outing. Although I sort of expect it to be cold and either have or will get the gear to handle it, but it is about the part, can I fish during poor weather. I have never fished when your line is freezing to the guides or fingers or whatever! I was fishing conventional gear once in Oregon for salmon/steelhead (caught 2 Coho in 30min, 24in and 26in) on Sandy river in a near freezing down-pour rainstorm once, but didn’t have to cast fly-line. Also was not wading into the cold water like I imagine you need to do on the SJ so need warm insulating layers under your waders and boots I am sure.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM

It's like Seldom said, if you got proper gear and your good friend " Jim " along all else just falls into place. Personally, i would rather have to layer then sweat my rear end off in the heat. Dipping the line almost every cast kind of gets old, but I deal with it. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing but for me it's the " Get away " and " Friendships " I enjoy.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscut head View Post
It's like Seldom said, if you got proper gear and your good friend " Jim " along all else just falls into place. Personally, i would rather have to layer then sweat my rear end off in the heat. Dipping the line almost every cast kind of gets old, but I deal with it. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing but for me it's the " Get away " and " Friendships " I enjoy.
Absolutly, the outing and gathering is always the fun part. What do you mean by "Dipping the line"? Or did you mean "Tipping the wine" ?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
Absolutly, the outing and gathering is always the fun part. What do you mean by "Dipping the line"? Or did you mean "Tipping the wine" ?
To get the ice off, dipping the line in the water.