Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Chat

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM

What have you been tying lately?

Any new patterns learned or developed? Want to show some thing off? Post it up on this thread...

I'm still working on really simple patterns trying to get proportions right and selecting the right sized hackles. Mr. Blur showed me the right way to tie a PTN and a really simple peacock and partridge wet fly. I also tied up a bunch of BH zebras and AZ Wanderings KF midge emergers (thanks Ben for posting that pattern on your blog). I have to apologize in advance for poor photo quality. I'm not at all set up for macro and my girlfriends DSLR has so much crap (I grew up on real SLRs where the operator manipulated the camera, not the other way around) to wade through that it'll take me a month and an instruction manual for me to figure this junk out.

Without further ado…

a few midges (I still have another 50 hooks for the emergers in smaller sizes)

Close up of a zebra and one of AZ Wanderings KF emergers

peacock and partridge

A few more

A couple closeups of the PTNs

and a few more

I'm open to critiques. These are all within about the first dozen or so of these patterns and I know I've got lots of room to grow.

Zor
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Fly Fishing Addict

I'm also fairly new to tying. One thing that was stressed to me on zebra midges was to not build up the thread. The little guys we are imitating are not bulky. I was thinking we needed a thread like this since it works so well at NAFFF.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 AM

I'll post some pics of some very effective smallmouth flies I tied and some pike flies later
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

pt nimps look great. as does the sh. just try to got the head a mite smaller. but I'm just picking nits. yer a quick study and willing to put in the time to get good.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks Mike. I was building the heads on these up on purpose. I don't know why, I guess I was assuming they were either smart or the large ego variety nymphs. I'll shrink em down. Should there be any taper to the head? Or a bulb? Or just cover the material and exposed shank in thread and tie it off?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

nothing wrong with them at all taper looks nice size is fine...as I said above just picking nits. the size comment was intended to get you to minimize the amount of thread wraps you use and I just think that a small head is kinda sexy looking...sounds wierd but I can't think of a better word for it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

CDC and elk. Ran out of 8/0 uni so I used UTC 70, which builds up more quickly. Note that is only three wraps to secure the wing. I love this ultra simplistic yet elegant pattern.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Oh yeah, that's size 14. I fish it in that size often but also like size 16.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Great looking ties Zor. That PTN is a work of art. What hook did you do the KF's on. I like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Tying and Fishing Nerd

I have an iphone 5 and took some pics of flies. Is there a different way to post from there?

Tags
guide flies?, todd come back, todd is better at this