Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Good flies to tie and good vest?

Im starting out to tie more flies and I was wondering what are some very effective flies to tie that are very effective. i usualy fish for trout but im gonna start to tie for bass to. Also, does anybody know of a good vest that isnt to heavy and hot but has alot of room? somthing in a low price too.

Thanks,
Nolan

Last edited by Trout_kid_21; 06-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM

90% of the time you are going to be fishing some sort of wet fly. Simi seal leeches catch everything and there are lots of colors. Woolly buggers catch trout, bass, plus all sorts of other fish. Az Peacock Lady, Sunrise Special, Prince Nymph, Gold Rib Hare's Ear Nymph, soft hackle fly patterns, Carrie Specials, Copper Johns, Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Woolly Worms, JR's Damsel Nymph, Zebra Midge tied in assort sizes and colors, and other fly patterns you would like to tie. Dry fly Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Wulff, Humty, Stimulators, Ants, Hoppers, Bettles, I like trude style fly patterns. There are many foam patterns that will catch bass and bluegill. I also love a Green Weenie. Plus Clousers are another great pattern for bass and other warmwater fish. I do not know what fly line weight your fly rod is, but I try and match the flies to the fly rod I am casting. I have a 3wt and use bead chain inside of dumb bells as called for in the clousre pattern.
Fly vest your may want to look at what is called a shortie which is made for wading. You can go on line and check Bass Pro, Cabela's, Orvis, and Sportsmen Warehouse for some idea's.
A small bit of advise when tying flies is start with easy fly patterns and learn the methods needed to tie them. Then move on to the next level building on what you learned. Have fun.

Last edited by Bighand; 06-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Can't go wrong with Wooly Buggers and Simi Seal Leaches. They will catch both trout and bass, you can add in some twists to mix things up and learn new skills, and are big enough to learn things at a scale that won't drive you nuts.

If I haven't tied in a while, I always get back into the groove by tying a dozen of one of these patterns.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM

thanks, it looks like iv been tying all of the good flies im gonna start looking at that simi seal leaches pattern and also green wenies. what do you think is good colors for the clousers though? thanks for the idea on the vest big hand!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM

oh yeah i use a 9 ft. 5 wt. line
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 PM

William Joseph Confluence pack is very comfortable and not hot. Have finally upgraded to the Simms G3 vest. I carry too much junk and was out of room. It is way more comfortable than any of the old vests I wore. They have some sort of suspension system that really works. Not cheap but really works.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

get smart and lose the vest and/or pack. a fag bag if necessary. minimize.
you may want a small hydration bladder.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_kid_21 View Post
thanks, it looks like iv been tying all of the good flies im gonna start looking at that simi seal leaches pattern and also green wenies. what do you think is good colors for the clousers though? thanks for the idea on the vest big hand!
Clousers: blue on top, white below; chartreuse top, white below; Olive top, white or yellow below. Red and white too. Keep in mind that baitfish, which the Clouser Minnow imitates, are darker on the top and lighter in the belly region. I tie mine with the hook point on top in the vice and the lead eyes on the bottom of the shank; darker color on top, lighter color on the bottom. It's upside down so the hook rides up when fishing it but the colors are in the proper sequence for baitfish. Do you have bucktails? They sell them at Sportsmen's Warehouse. Kinda messy but fun to tie.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Trout like Clouser's in streamer hook size 8-10. Try Coyote fur over white.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM

seems like clousers are the best way to go! I was at bass Pro yesterday and was gonna buy some bucktails but I didnt know which kind. Also, I was looking in to the G3 vest before so thanks!

Tags
bass, fishing, flys, trout, tying