Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Dude, you really put a hitch in the whole "fun" thing. I understand where you are coming from, but, man that hurts. My mom has always said similar things to me - when I would say that I catch and release she would say "oh so you only want to torture the poor thing for awhile for YOUR enjoyment".

I prefer to think of myself as a very fortunate human being - not a fish- who enjoys the chase and the time in nature, not necessarily the catch. I consider any day that I can walk a beautiful wild stream to be as close to heaven as I may ever get - whether I catch fish or not. I have a friend who said that he figured when his time comes and he gets to the pearly gates he will be met by a lobster with a pot of boiling water and a soft shell crab with a set of kitchen shears, not St. Peter. As chefs we are charged with boiling lobsters and cleaning crabs by ripping out there gill, rectum, and faces before we saute them. All in all not a good way to go. So, I guess the trout would probably vote to either be left alone or released.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Bigfoot Lives

Fish are trying to commit murder by eating my fly...I punish them for their murderous ways. Until fish become vegetarians I will continue to seek justice for all flies, baitfish, leeches, ect...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Right on, Cool Hand and Mr. Smith.
Even brown trout cannot remember certain learned tasks, like negotiating a maze to food by flashing lights, the next day.
How much pressure we apply to a fishery is a legit concern, how much and when, and we know as flyfishers that fish change their behavior onder fishing pressure, i.e., don't rise as readily and stay deeper.
I love that rare time when you find fish that you know have not seen a fly or fisherman in a long time, they definitely bite better, with more gusto.
Seems like most of our skills revolve around fishing for pressured fish, just a different balllgame, definitely challenging.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Good perspective Kevin but I think you could be accused of "Entrapment"! I never figured Buddy as a fish-hugger....

Don
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Nymphmaster P

OH he is, he usually starts and finishes the day with a human circle, all holding hands, singing a few verses of Kumba-ya!!! That's how Buddy Rolls!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDrifli View Post
OH he is, he usually starts and finishes the day with a human circle, all holding hands, singing a few verses of Kumba-ya!!! That's how Buddy Rolls!
Now we know what became of Officer Sunshine in the 60's.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Nymphmaster P

Don't you mean Kaptain Kangaroo?

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Get me out of a warm bed to stand in a cold creek in the dark freezing my *** off.... I hope it hurts like **** when I set the hook! Oh yeah, I love it when they swallow the fly and I get a good gut shot!

Don
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Sophomoric Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Fly! View Post
Get me out of a warm bed to stand in a cold creek in the dark freezing my *** off.... I hope it hurts like **** when I set the hook! Oh yeah, I love it when they swallow the fly and I get a good gut shot!

Don
Damn! Harsh, Don.

I can't totally agree with Cool Hand's argument that it's just like football or boxing because the fish isn't a willing participant. A better example would be a sport in which you drove down the street, found an unsuspecting victim, and kicked the crap out of him. But the man can eat 50 egg, so I'll stop arguing against him.

First, although it sounds terribly selfish, I'm a religious guy who believes God made everything, or set it up to develop, so that we could have a nicer time living here. So basically, it's all for my enjoyment. Cows make milk every day for me and provide a very nice dinner at the end. Chickens make breakfast everyday and lunch once. That's at leats a part of Buddy's whole circle of life thing I understand it, but I think stuff in this world is for enjoyment as well as survival. That doesn't mean you can be totally irresponsible with what we have, but I do think fish are here in large part to make flyfishermen happy as well as to feed us. Especially this one. I think catch and release let's us get more benefit out of one of those blessings. It's a good thing.

I don't buy into the whole pain/torture theory in fishing. I know it doesn't feel "good" to a fish, but they simply don't have the mental equipment to feel pain the way we do. The "pain" of pain that we feel is HUGELY psycological. Torture, even more so. Fish simply lack the parts of the brain and the mental functions that produce what we experience as humans. Other animals, with higher brain function CAN have more painful responses. That's where it may start to get mean.
A fish get's hooked and doesn't run because of pain. It runs out of pure survival instinct.

But Buddy is also a wonderfully convincing practical joker. I'll bet he just didn't get enough on April 1st and is enjoying the debate he started.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM

I really feel sorry for the fish i occasionally foul hook in the bung hole! OUCH! seriously though, c-n-r is the closest we as humans can get to interacting with wild animals without, for the most part, doing serious harm. It is a primal need to at least know that we can survive in the wild even though that's not necessarily the case. One of the most memorable fish that I have caught was a 14" brown up in the whites last summer. I caught a lowly 3" crawdad, hooked it by the tail with my sz 16 hares ear and proceeded to drift it through a promising cut. the first drift produced the fish and i quickly brought it in and released it without so much as touching the lil' *******. I was satisfied in knowing that the fish ate the crawdad therefore replenishing it's strength it had expended during the fight and then some. So yeah Buddy, I think about these things too, but usually not when the fish are kicking my butt.