Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Rose canyon lake - which fly and when?

Hello everybody,

I was introduced to fly-fishing last week in the Sierra Nevada backcountry, and fell in love with it. Living in Tucson, I am well aware that my options are rather limited during the week... I went to rose canyon lake to practice casting and caught a tree, two screaming kids, a log and a rock. (I'm joking about the kids...)
I was wondering what is hatching in RML this time a year, and if nothing - what patterns should I use for non-hatching periods...
Also, I would be delighted to hear of other destinations ( maybe even streams ) within a reasonable driving distance.
Also, does anyone know if Sabino canyon is a place one may fish in?
Thanks,

Uglycaster
Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Most of the time it is midges - chironomids - that hatch up there. They llok like mosquitos, but don't bite.

Ant patterns (sinking ants better, but floating patterns may work), even spiders and grasshoppers sometimes.

There may be some small mayfly (blue wing olive - bwo - and pale morning dun - pmd) hatches from time to time, but mostly midges.

There are crawdads in there that some of the bigger trout eat, and small minnows , mosquito fish, that they go after sometimes. Wooly buggers, small shiny streamers work most of the time.

Best fishing is when the gate closes, you have to hike in, but that cuts down on the crowds. Rose Canyon is a heavily used lake, as you may have already noticed. and the "roll cast" is a good tool - no backcast, so you cut down on the snagging - we all catch something behind us, a branch root, bush, small dog, etc.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Thank, AZTIGHTLINES, for the information and implicit encouragement..

What sizes would you reccomand, and which colors? (I checked the wooly buggers - there is an overwhelming plethora of colors...)

thank you.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglycaster View Post
Thank, AZTIGHTLINES, for the information and implicit encouragement..

What sizes would you reccomand, and which colors? (I checked the wooly buggers - there is an overwhelming plethora of colors...)

thank you.

I can't speak to that lake specifically, but in general black, brown, and green/olive. Crystal Buggers (same as wooly buggers but with sparkle) in the same colors.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

right. try to match the mudbugs w/ the woolly buggers. I'd tie them w/ weighted shanks and tung beadheads. quick and erratic retrieve.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Yeah, black/olive crystal buggers, brown, olive all work at times.

Small unweighted nymphs - hare's ear, pheasant tail, prince - that are cast near or on top of a riser and let sink, maybe strip a few times after a pause to let it sink.

Small parachute adams - #16-20 or smaller if you can find them - griffiths gnat midge pattern, maybe royal wulff or some attractor.

Killer fly if they are rising during a hatch or at dawn/dusk: Spotlight Emerger in grey/white or pmd (rusty). Maybe a "flymph," something that hangs right in the film.

Last time I was up there I tried nymphs sunk down with a clear intermediate - type I or II - flyline, that was effective, did not have to add any splitshot for weight.

Last couple of times unweighted nymhs around the boils worked well art Rose Canyon, especially when the clouds came over.