Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > The Open Box

Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM

U-tube has a lot of good instruction on it. But, for the San Juan Josho has posted some great midge patterns that catch fish. Even better, fish here in Arizona love them.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM

bump!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Hey after looking at those midges again, I notice they still have the barbs. I know SJ is suppose to be barbless but when buying hooks in most places I note that it is hard to find barbless. So Do you file off or just bend the barb down on the flies you use there? Also I find it hard to even get a needle nose pliers on to the barbs on hooks that are like 22 or smaller, so waiting to bend down the barb once out at the water is not to good of option. So when tying those small ones I have been trying to use my tying vise to pre squeeze down the barb. Although not perfect but is getting them down far as I can see with un-aided eyes.

Last edited by Tying2Fly; 01-09-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Jonesing for the Salt

On the Juan if checked for barbs by the Ranger. They will take mono and double it over if it passes the barb you pass if it doesn't ticket.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
On the Juan if checked for barbs by the Ranger. They will take mono and double it over if it passes the barb you pass if it doesn't ticket.
Thanks for the info. I think when I go home tomorrow (ABQ to PHX) while there I will maybe take my dremel to them as it will take that barb down real quick.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I steal Avatars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
Thanks for the info. I think when I go home tomorrow (ABQ to PHX) while there I will maybe take my dremel to them as it will take that barb down real quick.
A single click with the hemos is all it takes. Since I sell or give away so many of my flies I choose to never debarb at the vice. It is a personal preference and I choose to debarb on the water. A dremel may be overkill!

I owe you guys an update to this post and the Eggs, Worms and Leaches post as promised... I will see if I can put something together today.

Josh
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM

You may also untemper the steel and make a soft hook. I general debarb hooks before I even tie a fly on the hook.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Ya that will make the metal soft for sure. A little heat go's along way. Unless you want to re-temper them after you grind off the barb......but that will be way more work. I made the mistake of tieing a bunch of egg's up using snelled egg hooks that eagleclaw makes. I used a lighter to melt the mono off of the eyes before tieing on the egg yarn. I had three out of the 12 I tied (mabe more would have but I quit using them) break off right before the eye of the hook with a fish on. Right where they where heated with a lighter. I would imagine a dremil would do way worse then a lighter.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Founding Member.

Hemos or needle nose pliers and 1 second. Grinding them off seems like a lot of effort and a lot more time.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Yea, I normally just put the hook in the vise sideways, a little snugging down and the barb is flat. Put it in the vise to tie and press on. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I flatten the barbs before they go in the fly box. I'd hate to run into a warden that says, "well you COULD have used this one with the barb!" Figure it's better to not even provide the opportunity.