Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Colorado River News

Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Lees Ferry Report 6/10/17

New Lees Ferry Fishing Report posted here:

http://leesferry.com/river-report/

Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Terry, how's the fishing overall at the Ferry? Are you catching many nice fish like this one?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonLazerLiner View Post
Terry, how's the fishing overall at the Ferry? Are you catching many nice fish like this one?
Fishing is good and the fish are in great shape. I expect fishing to really pick up in July with the higher water.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Trip Report

Terry is absolutely right, the fish are larger and stronger than I can recall in years past! We just got back from a 4 day trip (1 day on Powell and 3 on the Ferry) and the fishing was great!

Started last Wednesday on Powell and launched in Wahweep and ran up in to Navajo where we striper fished. Tough bite to get them on flies as the fish were really deep but loaded up on fish in the 3-5lb class on spoons and chovies. Ended the day at the dam where we also caught fish.

Thursday through Saturday we fished the Ferry. This is the first time I have fished up there in over two years and man has it changed! Still lots of fish but they are much more concentrated. We caught them wading in the morning on a variety of scuds and midges and then fished out of the boat in the PM. We had really good success swing streamers in the tailouts and back eddies on a sunk tip line.

If you don't know the river and plan to fish on a weekend, HIRE A GUIDE. My buddy in another boat who didn't know the channel ran aground at 8 mile and did over $4K worth of damage to his lower unit.

Also, if you have a large group and would like some extra space, rent the guns house. Only $250 a night and lots of space.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks to both of you for those reports. I've fished the Ferry for 30 years and the last few were as disappointing as I've seen for a long time. I believe the late fall flows (HFE's) and the radical up and down daily flows were largely the cause. You just can't make a river do all kinds of weird things and not expect it to negatively affect the fishery. I'm glad to hear the fish are apparently adjusting and beginning to show some size again. I hope to get back up there soon.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Has anyone else fished the Ferry lately?