Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Who Are You?

This is optional of course. Some folk would rather keep to themselves. I'm cool with that.

However, I'll Start.

My name is Mike M. and I was born in Tucson in 1969. I am a 3rd generation Arizonan and father of a 4th. I have spent a couple years in Texas and Oregon.

My family was always into the outdoors and made frequent trips all over the state, particularly the White Mountains since we had family up there.

I started fishing when I was a youngster, but first picked up a fly rod in 1983 while backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 01-17-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Founding Member

These things make me feel REALLY old. I graduated from high school the year you were born. Shoot, now I need a nap!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Derelict

I am an AZ transplant (dislike PHX, LOVE Arizona). I have been married for a little over five years, but no kids.

I grew up camping, fishing, and backpacking in the Boise and Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. Fishing back then was about walking rivers with my dad and brother, spinning gear in hand. I spent much of my free time in high school and college either attached to a climbing rope, a hundred feet up some granite face, or skiing lift-served and backcountry goodness. I first picked up a fly rod about 6 months ago. It combines the fun of fishing as a youth with an art form unequal to anything I've ever experienced.

When I'm not roaming around with a fly rod in hand, I can be found behind a camera lens or occasionally climbing some rock.

Last edited by mjl; 01-06-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Born in 1971 - Long Beach
Grew up and fished mostly back East.
Been in AZ since '92.
Been casting the long stick for over 20 years but like Seldom, almost exclusively for the past several.
Fishing in the canyons and mountains of Arizona will hopefully be available to me for a long time to come... it is truly what I love the most.

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 AM

My name is Shane Stewart and i live in Gilbert Arizona with my Wife of 10years and i have an 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. I am 32 years old and I am a proud 5th generation native. I just started flyfishing last year, but still bass fish and chase the big cats at Roosevelt. I enjoy hunting, running bird dogs and about anything that involves the outdoors.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Del Wilcox
born 62
married for a long long time since 82
Machinist/mold maker by trade (own my own shop since 1994)
3 kids a 16y girl 12y boy 5y girl
been in az since 82
my first 2 kids have more time on the water and in the woods than most adults . My boy has downsydrom and is a hunting/fishing fool. my daughter(1st one) was pretty much concieved born and grew up in unit 12b 13a and 12awest when she was 4-5 months she spent 3 weeks with me and my wife scouting and archery deer huting in kaibab( In a tent and with a back pack) I spend alot of time taking the kids fishing and hunting. mostly fishing.
I pretty much bass fish all the time anymore, mostly tournys but been slacking since dec of 2005

I pretty much only fly fished until I moved to AZ, I was born and raised in Japan and lived there till I was 15, Then Dad retired and let my sister and I pick the place where he would retire.
We moved to washington state in 78?
I live pretty much across the street from the puyallup river, so fishing everyday was a given for dolley varden, summer and winter run steelies silver salmon a few kings lots of trout.
I missed lots of school and pretty much hiked the cascade mountains from snoqualmie pass (sp) down to mount saint helens on a regualr basis.
One of my goals was to catch a golden trout, since i liked to hike high mountain lakes and fish them I aquired a 2 book set of every single body of water in washington state from the game and fish dept.( which my best friends dad ran in puyallup)
IN there they had the stocking dates and species of every fish on every body of water in the start( inluding all unnamed lakes how it was stocked etc) this was my bible for 3 years and I hit a ton of lakes.
ended up catching quite a few goldens and some huge bows up to 6lbs in unnamed lakes at elevations 8k-12k
So fishing was my passion since I was a kid I was taught how to fly fish by a man in Japan at the age of around 6-7 and thats pretty much all I did.
I have fished salt water and fresh water for everything from tuna,wahoo to sharks and have nailed almost every fresh water trout with the exception of Artic graylin newfoundland brook trout apache trout and gila trout. along with every salmon both in fresh and salt water. The best are silvers with in the first 2 miles of the bays in the rivers. sea run cuttthroats are a hoot to catch also.

Ive fished alaska, british columbia, and pretty much everystate in the usa except north dakota and hawaii ( I worked for my neighbor in the summer who was a truck driver and we drove all over the USA and canada he would stop by a river or lake to let me fish for a few hours)
I also tied all my own flies on hooks as small as a 24 in japan only 18,-24's and even smaller were used for trout( trust me Japan has the best trout fishing in the world besides new zeland, it also has some of the most ruggedest country in the world as well, we live at misawa AFB on the very northern tip of japan)
My favorite flys were the peacock lady and the parachutte flies, For trout I always did better on dryfiles and streamers ( Oh on a side note I also have put away somewhere 4 sqr feet of polar bar fur that I got in the 70's when it was legal.)
Anyway so I moved to AZ fly fished like crazy in 1982 but very small fish were to be caught with the exception of lees ferry so I just gave it up, and started Bass Fishing with OMG a Bait caster.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it
Old 02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Bigfoot Lives

Born in 1973-Erie, PA

Been fishing my whole life, exclusively fly fishing for about 15 years. Most of my early memories of fishing are with my Grandfather who passed last June while I was fishing on X-Mas Tree for the first time. Started my fly fishing journey fishing for Steelhead when I returned to Erie for college in 1991. We had 6 great Steelhead streams within 30 miles each direction, not to mention Western and Central PA during the late Spring, summer and fall. Been in Arizona for 6 years, went from 100% stream fisherman in PA to about 75% lakes here in Arizona. The first couple of years were humbling, but have started to tune into Stillwaters. I have been married about 7 years and have a couple of dogs that we spoil rotten. Arizona is a special place.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Nymphmaster P

Born Feb 62, graduated HS in 1980. Went to college at NAU and taught middle school for 10 years. My wife, Beth, of 6 1/2 years, retired from the Air Force last year so figured it was a good time to make a life changing move. We moved to Aztec, NM in June and I am a fulltime guide on the San Juan river. I was, and still feel like an Arizonan. I am a 4th generation Arizonan, and 3rd generation Tucsonan. I started flyfishing, ocassionally, in 1980, but became an addict in 1988 when I visited the San Juan for the first time. I have been flyfishing, an exclusive relationship, since 1989. Oh sure, I'll look at a spinning rod on ocassion, but only look, never touch, that would be cheating. I have been tying flies since 1990 and finally started getting good in 1995 or 1996. I tie professionally now for a shop and for my guide business. Flyfishing changed my life, got me out of the drinking game, straightened my butt out bigtime. It is the only sport, or hobby, or addiction, that I know of where you can go out, and forget all your troubles. I LOVE IT!!! I have a stepdaughter, Kelly, age 21, and stepson, Andrew, age 20.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2006, 01:53 PM
fly fishing maniac

Phillip Krotine-born sept. 14, 1988(youngest in the group!)

Was born in Cleveland Ohio, moved to Phoenix in the summmer of 1998. From then till Spring, 2005, I fished the Whites. From the lakes, to the streams. The first 3 years i did it with spinning gear, now I fish anywhere almost exclusivaly with the long rod. I moved back to ohio last march, and have been waiting to get back to the Whites ever since.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Keith P. Born in Mesa, Arizona. My Father was born in Mesa and my Grandfather was born in Wilcox, Arizona. So like Seldom I guess that makes me a third generation. Two kids one 9 and the other 7 months.

Took up fishing when I went to get my Fishing Merit Badge as a Scout and have been doing it ever since. Took up Fly fishing just four years ago when a guide in Stanely, Idaho told me he would tell me where the fish are if I fished with a fly rod only, so I bought one. And the next day I went where he told me and I caught one on my second cast. I was so excited I called up Seldom screaming like a school girl to tell him about it.

I graduated from Arizona State University in 1989 with an MS in Agribusiness. I own a Landscape Design company, and on the off season I dedicate my time to Landscape Photography this is where I get my inspiration. My first camera was a Vivitar 110 at the age of 12. I think i've been through 9 cameras and I still have them all.

Like I always say, "If I have the time, I will travel far for fish".

Last edited by biscut head; 02-08-2006 at 02:38 PM.