Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 PM

Oak Creek Canyon Trout

I spent a few hours fishing oak creek today and saw something I have never seen before. At banjo bill picnic area where you can drive over the creek there are three water falls about six feet tall. While I was fishing i tought i saw a fish trying to swim up one of the water falls. I wasn't sure what I had seen because ten minutes before that a guy asked me if the trout would swim up the water falls and I said no. I spent the next hour watching fish trying to swim up the falls. Quit a sight to see. Is this common with hatchery trout?

Last edited by red rock fly caster; 11-30-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM

Native fishes of all kinds need to be protected from invading non-native fishes with natural fish barriers and/or manmade fish barriers because all fish (including hatchery trout) are capable of jumping/leaping upstream.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Red Rock,

On the South Platte River in Waterton Canyon, near Lockheed Martin in Littleton and about three miles up the canyon, there is a small artificial lake which is used to feed the Marston Water Treatment Plant not far away. The lake is backed up by a dam. The dam is about 125 feet long and maybe 40 feet high. In the plunge pool at the bottom of the dam, you find a lot of nice browns and some rainbows. I have seen the rainbows trying to leap up this dam. Water is always pouring over the top rather than discharging from the bottom. I guess it's in their DNA during spawning to find moving water and move upstream, which is the reason they don't explore the nice shallow pocket water just 20 yards downstream.