Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Always Improving

Aggressive little holdovers they are~

Spent the day on Woods Canyon yesterday (4-10), and the holdovers are hungry! No indecision on the fishies part on hitting the fly to get a free meal, that's for sure.

Hit the water around 11am, getting off around 6:15. Mostly mild breezes, adding a slight chop to the surface. An occasional bluster of wind to cool down my sun-burned chubby cheeks, thanks to abundant sunshine. Air temps were in the mid 60's, and the water was much warmer than I thought. Even with fleece pants (over shorts) and wool socks, I immediately noted it was going to be warm sitting in the water...and I wasn't disappointed.

Threw many patterns and colors, but what the rainbow wanted turned out to be a #14 light olive simi seal leech with a subdued yellow tail and tan bead head. It was difficult to keep them off the hook once the pattern was figured out.

Kept the fly submerged between 15-20 feet with very little mending or action on my part. The low wind speed was just enough to move my tube to create interest in the presentation.

All fish caught were in the 16" range, hitting the fly with gusto and trying equally hard in keeping the fly for themselves and not show themselves to me. Lots of hard hits as well, some I missed simply because I allowed myself to daydream momentarily.

All in all, I had over 12 to hand with an untold number of long and short distance releases, not to mention the hits with no hookup.

Not much surface action during the day, but there was some as a good hatch was underway all day long. I can only imagine the feeding frenzy going on under the surface.

Around 6:00pm, the surface really began in earnest, however due to a leg cramp I had to get off the water. Kind of hard to move the legs when one doesn't want to cooperate. Charlie Horses for hours afterwards.

Water level was around 6' below average and Willow Springs looks even worse.

Think I'll hit up either Bear Canyon or Knoll Lake on the next outing...

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"

Last edited by david vaughn; 04-11-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:38 PM

Thinking of gettin a tube - were the cramps just from being out of shape, or what else should I do to avoid them?
Great sounding day, wish I was there!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
Thinking of gettin a tube - were the cramps just from being out of shape, or what else should I do to avoid them?
Great sounding day, wish I was there!
Magnesium 250 mg tablets, 1 or 2 before exercising helps me.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
were the cramps just from being out of shape, or what else should I do to avoid them?
Hydrate the day prior would be my first suggestion and stay hydrated throughout the day on the water. For me, I think it has been several months since I've been in my tube and failed to stretch out before getting into the tube.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"